Swifts' Goals!
Howdy Daggers, some of you might know me; my previous account was named Mayenla. I made a new account to start with a fresher mindset so with that said, let's get down to business!

Brodie Swift's Art Goals

Who am I doing this for?

This has changed a bit recently. I have a wife and two kids (3yrs and 1yr) and a full time job. I don't get much time other than at night once the boys go down to work on my art. With that said, previously when I perused art I felt a huge pressure to "Make it" to support my family. Now I have a full time job in a profession that I quite enjoy (Signwriting), and I no longer feel that pressure to become amazing as soon as possible.

I have no obligation to even do art; I've spent the first half of this year playing video games at night in my free time.. but eventually I get this feeling that I need to be improving as a human, to be productive.
In the past I've gotten caught up with jumping from one project to another. I have worked on a lot of game projects, even finished a few of my own apps on the app store. However I'm coming to realise that jumping into these projects means less time for my art, and while they do involve art, it's usually not what I enjoy doing or it's above my skill level and I feel like I am unable to produce the needed product.
On top of all that my father passed away this earlier this year, and it was really hard to do anything creative. I feel like I'm just beginning to crawl out of that.

So who am I doing this for? I'm doing this for me. I have no reason, no need, no obligations to do art. Yet I find myself always coming back to it and while I have stopped many times in the past, every time I find myself back here it becomes a little clearer. This time I have no sense of pressure. I'm doing this because this is what I love doing. I love creating, and so I want to improve.

What do I want to achieve (5years)?

Basically I want to be a fantastic artist. I want to be able to devote my time and effort and become both exceptionally good and knowledgeable at my craft.

I want to be able to work from home with a freelance income.

My Plan?

Work on the Fundamentals!

..hah like it's that easy.

Above all, I want to have fun and enjoy what I do. In the past I have slaved away at anatomical studies that just burnt me out way too fast (how boring!) So I will be structuring my learning. Of course I will have studies, but I will be doing finished pieces along with those studies. I won't be limiting myself to strictly one area, I need variety to keep things fresh so I have broken down two major areas I want to study and then broken those down further to complement each area. They are:

Figures
  • Portraits
  • Figures in perspective
  • Character Design
Environments
  • Perspective
  • Composition
  • Plein Air
I love working traditional, I love having a finished physical product at the end and while I know I will need to venture into digital, I will look into that once I am confident with my traditional skills and fundamentals.

So it's good to have an idea of what I want to focus on, but I need a more concert study plan so I can narrow down the exact execution of my skills. To do this I am going to set myself some challenges to complete within a time-frame. 

So I'm thinking 3 month blocks (or 12 weeks) where I review after each block. With set challenges to hit within each block. Week 01 starts on the  25/09/16

So my weekly schedule will look something like:

WEEKLY SCHEDULE

Mon - Character Designs (Creativity - following up from work done on the Sat/Sun)
Tue - Environment Perspective
Wed - Painting! Acrylic / Watercolour
Thurs - Portraits
Fri - Portraits
Sat - Free Day (Reflect, Paint, Study, whatever I want.. Still do art though!)
Sun - Figures in Perspective & Anatomy

CHALLENGES

Week 3/4 Challenge:
  • Highly Rendered A3 Portrait (4+ hours)
  • Environment Painting (Acrylic)
Week 7/8 Challenge:
  • Highly Rendered A3 Portrait (4+ hours)
  • Environment Painting (Acrlyic)
Week 11/12 Challenge:
  • Character Design within a perspective scene. Graphite/Charcoal or Painted.
BONUS CHALLENGE - CRIMSON CRUCIBLES!

How do I stick to this?

Well, as said above, I keep coming back to Art. This time I feel different, it sounds silly but I've already established somewhat of an art habit. Using an App called Rewire I have formed a habit to draw every day. At the moment I have drawn every day for 61 days. Kinda depressing but I think this is the longest I've stuck to improving my art so far.
I also want to be accountable so I'll post each week (minimum) into my sketchbook with updates.

Oh and week 1 starts Sunday 25/09/16

So that's about it. Sorry for the massive wall of text.. let's do this.

Draw every day. | Don't draw without thought. | Don't get caught up in the goal, enjoy what I am doing now.

Great stuff Bmswift :).

Also, I am sorry for your loss earlier in the year.

The way you describe the demands on your time resonates with me as I am in a very similar situation where my passion for art has burst into flame again just recently but I have to juggle my time to fit it in.

One thing I would say is don't be afraid to change your timescales or modify your goals as you go. It doesn't work out well if you are to rigid with yourself.

Good luck and get to it :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Thanks a bunch Artloader! It is hard with only a couple hours each night for practicing art and also having leisure time.

I fully expect I'll end up tweaking the weekly plan / goals :) I had to start somewhere so I guess the weekly check ins I'll use to review the week, and see how things hold up as I've allocated them.