SUP!
Tongue 
Hey! My name is Lorena Pimenta (my internet nickname is also Piloreta), and I'm a brazilian art student. I am 19 years old, and I have been painting digitally since I was 16 years, but I just started to study the fundamentals when I was 17. Since then, I have been struggling to improve my works, specially now that I have more time to spare, because I couldn't study art that much when I was in high school (I don't miss those school days hahaha).

Now I am studying visual arts here in Brazil, but my teachers are not very into the fundamentals, because they have a very closed mind in terms of what is art and what is not art (they are more connected with art of the 20th century). I respect how they treat their works and their objectives, but I will not stop to treat my own artwork according to my own personal taste... They should not be trying to make us do the same kind of work that they make, that upsets me a lot. I heard my future painting teacher does not like figurative stuff, perspective, lines: he hates all that, I am worried, because I also heard that many people at my school does not consider illustration as art, and I think this is so messed up... (This is very boring, but I also have many friends from my class that want to be illustrators, so we are all kind of sad on how narrow minded some art teachers are :( But we are determined to do what we like! Art is not something someone tells you what it is, in my own opinion ).

I dream to be a professional illustrator and concept artist one day. Internet really saves my life, tho: I may not have the best teachers that can help me in my objectives, but I have access to so much information online... I have been trying to contact other illustrators from my country and outside to gather as much as I can. And, thanks god, I know how to speak in english: god, everything is in english!

My biggest references are Ruan Jia, Miles Johnston, Jana Schirmer, Even Amudsen, Krenz Cushart, Sargent, Craig Mullins, Guangjian Huang, Anders Zorn, Monet, Degas and many many others that  I  may be forgetting!! So many amazing artists!!!

I wanted to create a sketchbook thread somewhere to show how my work is evolving and to get some nice feedback from other artist fellows around the globe. My buddies told me about this forum, so... Here I am. I'm very excited to get to know some of you guys and learn together more about painting! :D

(I tried to put some other previous works of mine in here, but I have no idea on how to attach files on this site. I'm very newbie in forums, sorry xD If you search for piloreta in deviantart or artstation you may be able to find some stuff I have. There is not much, but I am working to make more finished stuff).

http://piloreta.deviantart.com/
https://www.artstation.com/artist/piloreta
Welcome to Crimson Daggers Lorena :).

You have some nice work on your Deviant Art and ArtStation sites :).

If you wanted a place to hang out and learn from fellow artists, then you have come to the right place here :).

I've haven't been a member on here too long - not quite a year yet, but in that time, I have learned a huge amount just by hanging out on here, browsing the sketchbooks and interacting with like-minded people.

In terms of fundamentals, you could check out this discussion thread and see what you think:

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7607.html

By the way, to upload your files, just click on "New Post" and then below the text editor window, there will be a button called "Choose File", this will allow you to upload your files.

I'd encourage you to start your own sketchbook thread in the SketchBooks subforum on here and keep it updated.

Good luck with your art journey and see you in the Sketchbook threads hopefully :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Your art school story has a very startling parallel to our local art colleges. Or, at the very least, colleges that offer art courses. I never had a chance to go to art school, but I know people who used to teach.

Probably the best story I heard was this guy who shows up at the start of the class, gives students something to work on during class hours, and does whatever he wants whether he's in or out of the classroom. As long as he gets back to the room before end of the class! Easy class for the students. Easy 6-9 hours per week gig. Easy money for him!

I know another one who taught a course on animation. I remember she deliberately fails people because their lack of knowledge in drawing anatomy. Of course, the faculty heads, parents, and students were furious for their own different reasons! Faculty wanted her to be more lenient because... Parents don't like seeing their kids retake the class since... the students are being students when they fail at school. Works like a chain of command.

I should stop myself before I get into a long, boring, self righteous tirade about art! Thanks to Loader for beating me to it. Because if he didn't, you will not get anything of substance from this short exchange!

Welcome to the Crimson Daggers! Pretty sweet Sargent study thingy on your dA. Let's do this.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the friendly answers! Thanks for the for the discussion link, Artloader, I may read it as soon as I can... And thanks for the mini tutorial about how to upload stuff, hehe.

By the way, John, the only reason why I did not leave artschool it is because I study in a public one here: that means I do not have to pay it. Since college gives me a good amount of time to spare, it does not give me that much problem at all... Just makes me feel angry with my teachers sometimes, but I love my college buddies and they make it worth to go.

Anyways, thanks! :D