hello arts peplez!
Hi!

My name's Razvan Radulescu (with the ever most original and easiest to remember user/internet nick name :D - razvanc-r). I'm Romanian (not living in Romania tho'), finishing a PhD in volcanic ash forecasting (the type of forecast that is focused on atmospheric ash dispersion/deposition - cause I get a lot of "oh so you do geology..." no! :D). Anyway, I'm at my end of my studies but for the longest time I've been interested in game development and drawing/painting, except I never gave it attention. Until now. So yeah, I'm pretty old to "go back to school" for this stuff but that's what I decided to do! Because I'm crazy :D.

I have been lurking in the shadows of gamedev./concept art for some time now and I'm finally taking a step into the light!... a very mid-tone colorless, desaturated light! :D. I'm a very big fan of open source software and believe in the power of: blender, godotengine, krita, inkscape, linux etc. So yeah, I'm a linux user for about 7-8 years now and a programmer/physicist at core I suppose, based on my studies at least :). Speaking of which, some shameless ad: if you're interested in playing with game dev.-ing, I started a tutorial series a while ago for godot engine :), more info here: https://razvanc-r.gitlab.io/tutorials/. It's completely free, it's based off of a unity tutorial (I'm basically exploring godot features by taking the unity tutorial and porting it to godot and improving upon it). So there you have it... oh, there's also some stuff I drew the past year or so (on and off as I didn't have a specific plan when I started): drawabox homework dump - there are some ok ones, some really bad ones, most of them are ok-ish I suupose, except for some really crappy ones :D. I think I'm ready to try out more advanced stuff (tho' I know I still need to chip away at the fundamentals badly!)

Any comments/collaborations/tips/tricks/advice etc. is more than welcome :)! Thenx for your time! Have a great day.

Hello Razvan,

Quote:Any comments/collaborations/tips/tricks/advice etc. is more than welcome :)!

Maybe it's a good idea to start your own sketchbook thread here. One reason would be, your FB page isn't public, or at least not public enough for anonymous visitors. Second, fellow CD members get prompted when new works arrive.

Super cool to have another member geeking out over the programming side of things. (Not that I'm one of them, but I always believe variety is nice). How's the game dev career going so far?

Welcome to the Crimson Daggers. Looking forward to seeing you active.

And.. oh. So you're a geologist? :)

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(12-03-2016, 01:16 AM)John Wrote: And.. oh. So you're a geologist? :)

Woho! First reply! Thenx for the advice man! Aaand NO, not a geologist! :P. I did think about the sketchbook, but I have about 300 drawings that I made for drawabox, I'm not sure if CD forum will be happy if I try to upload all of that, but I'll give it a shot! :D.

About the game dev. career, well I haven't started yet! I'm trying to make some mini-projects/artworks/conceptarts/effects/tutorials/younameIT! :D based on open source software to build up a portfolio thing :). Ultimately (as any other average joe) I want to conq... I mean end up in indie dev. somehow :D. So at the moment I'm looking for ways to get a tiny slice of some tiny crumb of the game dev. pie :). So there you go! I'm just starting out.

Oh and if anyone is interested, I'll be at the FOSDEM (https://fosdem.org/2017/) conference (only the biggest - free yeah! - conference in Europe on open source stuff) next year. Godotengine will have a stand at FOSDEM (https://godotengine.org/events), they will also have their own GodotCon just after FOSDEM so if you're interested in game dev. and open source stuff maybe you'll be interested in these events!

Thanks again John :)

Hey welcome to the Crimson Daggers Razvan!

So you're some kind of game developing - volcano doctor - artist guy? Sounds like an interesting mix :).

Do you have any particular area of your art that you want to improve at first? For some people it can be useful to focus on a small area first so that they see improvement more quickly.

I see you've already taken John's advice and started up a sketchbook thread - I look forward to seeing your progress - this place will turbo boost your art if you let it!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Welcome Razvan, awesome to see another sciencey / tech / opensource geek turning artist up in here. I kinda followed the same path myself. I'll check out your tutorials :)

Anyways as the welcome committee said, start up a sketchbook if you like. Check out the discord server (blue square icon top right, under page banner) to chat with other Daggers, and consider getting stuck into any challenges or groups and welcome to the family!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Well, aspiring wannabe artist to be more precise hahaha. Not that I think about concept art as actual art... so not even artist really, let's just say wannabe design painter :D.

Thenx for the warm welcome everybody! I intend to fully "abuse" your good intent to further my understanding of digital painting :D.

(12-03-2016, 10:13 AM)Artloader Wrote: Do you have any particular area of your art that you want to improve at first?

Yes, my particular area of art would be fundamentals :D. I think I'm on the track to be moving to some more advanced stuff now, but I'm still stuck with the exercise driven mindset :D, I mean, I'm not ready to start any self project or anything of that magnitude yet as I have A LOT to practice on first.

And one thing in particular I need to figure out is how the heck to properly use the brushes to not end up with muddy colors. And like @Amit here I'm using Krita so I'm in the experimental phase. I only used the round hard edge brush for the drawabox lessons for so long I don't know how to use anything else haha, as you can see form my attempts at the composition homework (http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8058.html) which are pretty bad in terms of stroke quality :).

So yeah, much to figure out. Good thing I found CD, I think it might be THE BEST digital art self-contained community out there, view through my limited experience with these things D:

Thanks so much again and I'll be sure to check out the challenges/groups and finally step out of the shadow :D