Bonjour Crimson Daggers
Hello folks !
Also, happy new year ! I hope 2017 will be a great year for everybody here.

My name is Maxime, Luven for this forum, and I thought January the first was definitly going to be the day I finally present myself, for it's been two weeks christmas hollydays kept me away of doing anything productive (but I guess it's why it exists).
As you might have guess I am French (baguette!), so you should assume right now that I don't know english, as this assemption will surely get handy (and true) in the future ! Tongue

I discovered this forum months ago because of some blog post by Noah Bradley, then bookmarked it and promised I would explore this strange place where digital artists use blood and photos of motorbikes to decorate their website. Honestly, now I like it, because it feels over the top and stuff, but by then I wondered if I was on the right place ^^
I know I should not introduce myself on such a note but I thought as veterans of the forum it may be interesting to see how newbies feel it. Don't bite ! I like it now !

So as I said I'm a french guy, 21, studying 2D and 3D with video game as focus, in Belgium. I'm in second year, and while I love it there, i feel like I'm doing a bit of everything (which I get why), and don't get to study skills I'm really interested further in. Like digital painting. So the idea is to do it on my time, make it meet my assignement for school when I can, and keep time to do it when school goes full 3D.

I must say I am really happy to be part of a community again, because I definitly miss it from the time I used to play Minecraft some years ago ! Rolling eyes, funny thought I hope i'll stick to it tho, as it can get tough early on. I hope when I'll get confortable around here I'll be able to give something back to you.
I must also say that I am actually pretty impressed by the people on this forum. I mean, here I see people really (really) getting to work, and it's wonderfull to look at. They have some goals and they do what needed to achieve it, it's crazy to see and it give much motivation. Also the community don't stop at saying "it's great, you're great! Keep doing it", but give some valuable feedback. It's priceless ! In love  So thanks you all.

Hopefull I'll get my sketchbook on soon. I'll post what I've been doing recently, and for the fun and the record, some of the stuff I did before (like my first ever digital painting).
See you soon ! Kiss I'll be on Discord.

(I tought the following sounded kind of like my deathline, so I cut it and send it to the bottom :)

My goal long term is to be enough skilled to become freelance illustrator/concept artist, just like everybody else here i guess ^^.
My goal short term is to have a correct portfolio, student-wise, by July, so that I can send it to industry artists to have some feedback. Hopefully i would get some, so I can take the next few month until September-October to make my portfolio better and send it this time to some video game studio (no I will not send it to Blizzard I promess) seeking for internship in early 2018, as it is what the school want us to do during our third year here.

I plan this portfolio to be mostly painting, which it is why i'm here, with a bit of everything, character concept, environnement concept, props concept, illustration, but hopefully only with solid pieces. So I will also keep it short. One thing i've got to do in the next days is decide how many of which I want to do.
But I want also the portfolio to show that I can be decent at 3D, decent-not-insanely-good because I just don't want to be insanely good in 3D, so that I can be valuable the time of my intership in a small studio and maybe later if some studio opportunity shows up. This is where my school assignement enters the game, as I've got to create a sci-fi environment from scratch on Unreal Engine for PC/Xbox one, for June (or august if I fail then).

My daily goal is to be disciplined enough and maintain my routine so that I can accomplish my short goal, without getting crazy. It's about planning stuff and doing it mostly. For now it goes mostly like this :
Everyday I get some time to work for my school, some time to work for me and my short goal, some time to do nothing and some time to sleep. The hours are planned, so they don't change so often but they have some sort of flexibility because life. I plan what I got to do before it is the time to do it, so that I can keep an eye on the overall progression of everything. For as long as school work is 2D and can meet my short goal, i'll consider personal-work time and school-work time to be the same, then when school will go full 3D i'll make sure the two don't interfere. I think it will happen early or mid-February if I meet my school assignement plan.
There's numbers and stuff but it's not made for a presentation Tongue

If I can't do it then i'll figure why and make some change. I DON'T WANT to turn crazy or overload myself with work. By chance I've got great, great friends with whom I share the same goal (kinda), so it's definitly easier to keep at it. Maybe some will come here too !
I did it some time before Christmas Hollydays and it felt good. Then I had to go back to France for Christmas and I couldn't keep at it with family around. I go back to Belgium in two days, so I'm happy i can do it again soon.

(I think I'll do a real DEATHLINE in my time, but that's it for now. Thank you if you read it. Have a great year !)
Hey Luven,

Ambitious goals! Hey man, whenever you're ready to show your stuff! Happy new year and welcome to the Crimson Daggers!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Hi Luven, welcome to this strange placed known only as Crimson Daggers :).

Once you get past the blood splatters on the doorway, I think you will find warmth, inspiration and knowledge inside. There are some pretty awesome people on here who generously give there time to offer useful critique and encouragement.

Yeah definitely post up a sketchbook and some deathline goals and get involved!

Looking forward to seeing more from you :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Let's be honest. There may be a little bit of blood...

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Hey @Luven & happy new year! Welcome to the place!

I see you're interested ultimately in game dev. (much like I am). Are you going to FOSDEM/GodotCon? Since... it's in Blegium you know :D. https://godotengine.org/events maybe we'll meet there :P

Se you around1

Thanks you all for your words. Happy I hope I'll stick around and actually get better.

Razvanc-r I'll look about the event with some friend, looks interessting.But I think if I made it to an event in February it's gonna be Screenshake 2017 ! Hopefully I'll be able to anyway.