Hello forum, I'm one of the new guys
Star 
Hi everyone!

This forum is overwhelming, but I need to start somewhere, right?
My name's Hannes, I'm from Germany. I'm living in Berlin for my whole live (around 27 years) and I want to get better with arts.
Everything started with my wish to do pixel art. I joined the pixelation forums and there I was told to learn to draw on paper first. Now I'm following "draw a box" since 11.11.2016. It really changed my live and I try to draw every day. I only missed about ten days since start. (Did not count, heh. ^^)
It's an up and down, some exercises really make me feel bad while others feel easier.

Uff. This isn't easy to talk about. I wish to get good with something because I need to express myself. When I left school with my A level, I was pretty sure I want to be a voice actor.
I followed this road for a long period and standing in front of a microphone made me so happy every time. I've spend a lot of money and energy into coaches, a private school and my own record technique. But it wasn't enough and my unhealthy ways of thinking, my shrinking nest egg and the overwhelming feeling of being all on my own made me brake up with my dream. I'm kind of sad about it but this is like it is and now I have to overcome my fears of not making the right decisions.
Drawing is different to voice acting. It's easier to do every day. It's way cheaper and there is a bigger community to talk to. That's why I'm feeling way better about it. It's still hard for someone like me, I'm very self-critical and serious about everything I do. But I bet I'm not the only one like this around here. ^^

For now, I'm just want to get better with art. I still have to go to my part time job, and I'm running a relationship so it's a challenging balance act. When I come through all this, with sparing some money from my job, maybe I can start another private schooling for gamedesing. But I don't want to think of it to much. Just having fun and drawing as much as possible is my main goal for now.

What I need is regular feedback. And that's why I'm here. I give the creator of "draw a box" some money via patreon and he is offering feedback in return. But just for a whole finished lesson.
I think I can get some feedback with starting a sketchbook, right?

Thank you for reading through this. It was kind of personal, but that's how I am.
Don't get fooled. I have a strong easygoing part too. ^^
So don't be afraid to talk to me. I'm interested in almost everything and I love to earn some new insights.

Have a good time!
Hey Runensucher.

I am a stranger to the voice acting world and I trust you're ahead of the game than most of us here. But I got to ask. Have you tried looking for voice acting gigs locally? Or alternatively, have you thought about doing a podcast where you can let all your voice acting skills run wild? I came across Billy West's podcast recently (https://billywestpodcast.com/), and it seems this might be an untapped medium for up and coming voice actors such as yourself. This day and age, it's easy to push content out!

If voice acting is what makes you happy, there is no reason for you to not go for it. I don't know much of your background story to know how it became overwhelming, but it is sad to see people not getting to do their craft they love.

I can relate at a certain level when it comes to being overwhelmed. If I may share a piece of myself, this art journey I'm on isn't exactly a pony ride as well. I'm pretty much in the same deal as you: working on a job we don't necessarily like, doing our little projects for little to no money. Not that I'd like to compare and make this into a pissing contest, but I've gone to a point where my real life relationships dwindle down to just immediate family.

Sure, things can be overwhelming. But I came to realize that, more often than not, it's just my anxiety jawing back at me. Maybe it would help you if you can isolate what's making you feel that way by seeing yourself in third person and try to identify what the source of your discomfort is.

Let me extend my hand towards you and say: if you want to chat it up, there's a shoutbox on the front page. And Discord (https://discord.gg/azX8fwT) where a lot of members drop by and talk just about anything.

Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

(Oh yeah, start up a sketchbook. Do challenges. Hand out crits. Yada yada yada.. Usual drill..)

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Hey welcome to Crimson Daggers Runensucher :).

Don't worry about being personal - for me art is a personal journey we are the ones that are making the journey for ourselves. I am glad that you are enjoying your art - that is the best reason to be doing it in my opinion :).

Joining this forum was a smart move - if you check out the wealth of resources hidden on here and get involved with the other artists on here I think you will be amazed at what you can learn and at how much you will be inspired.

Looking forward to seeing your sketchbook and good luck with your art journey :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(03-02-2017, 09:31 PM)John Wrote: Hey Runensucher.

I am a stranger to the voice acting world and I trust you're ahead of the game than most of us here. But I got to ask. Have you tried looking for voice acting gigs locally? Or alternatively, have you thought about doing a podcast where you can let all your voice acting skills run wild? I came across Billy West's podcast recently (https://billywestpodcast.com/), and it seems this might be an untapped medium for up and coming voice actors such as yourself. This day and age, it's easy to push content out!

If voice acting is what makes you happy, there is no reason for you to not go for it. I don't know much of your background story to know how it became overwhelming, but it is sad to see people not getting to do their craft they love.

I can relate at a certain level when it comes to being overwhelmed. If I may share a piece of myself, this art journey I'm on isn't exactly a pony ride as well. I'm pretty much in the same deal as you: working on a job we don't necessarily like, doing our little projects for little to no money. Not that I'd like to compare and make this into a pissing contest, but I've gone to a point where my real life relationships dwindle down to just immediate family.

Sure, things can be overwhelming. But I came to realize that, more often than not, it's just my anxiety jawing back at me. Maybe it would help you if you can isolate what's making you feel that way by seeing yourself in third person and try to identify what the source of your discomfort is.

Let me extend my hand towards you and say: if you want to chat it up, there's a shoutbox on the front page. And Discord (https://discord.gg/azX8fwT) where a lot of members drop by and talk just about anything.

Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

(Oh yeah, start up a sketchbook. Do challenges. Hand out crits. Yada yada yada.. Usual drill..)
Hi John!
Thank you for your honest words. I'm afraid our situations don't relate as much as you think (I'm far away from working in projects) but I appreciate your thought-out response.
About the voice acting: I'm not the "run wild"-type of guy. Sure, internet is great for creators, but without the "wild" kind of energy you need a lot of discipline. And I ran out of both.
But don't be sad. :)
I made this decision and it was good. I felt relieved and for now I'm happy with doing something else. I'm more than a voice actor. There are several things that make me  happy.
I'm pretty sure we will write at discord in the closer future. Thanks for your invite.

@Artloader
Don't be mad! I don't know how to insert a second quote right now.
Your response really made me feel at home. ^^
I'm often caught between shame and honesty and it's really good to know that I can just be myself and will still find someone who understands my urge to express and explain. Nice to meet you! :)