Hellos and Intros
A wholesome hello to all, 

I'm MoodDoodler, and as the name kind of explains I tend to draw when I'm in the mood. Its something I'm personally not proud of but want to work towards changing as a long-term goal of mine. 

I fell in love with the creative arts a few years back doing graphic design and the urge to improve led to me attempting to teach myself to draw. Unfortunately, the area of my education wasn't equipped with that kind of expertise and being an antisocial dumbass, I stayed away from the web when it came to seeking critiques and helpful advice. Over the years I pushed my personal boundaries and got better with asking for criticism. I eventually pushed myself toward joining a portrait drawing class which helped me understand how to use a pencil and get an idea on how to draw.

Work and college got in the way of continuing the class and I regrettably fell farther away from the improvement I desired. I tried continuing but I ran into this predicament of not knowing what I want anymore.
Should I draw things that look good to others?

Will it help me find work?
     What kind of work do I want?
     What kind of career do I want? 
     Am I wasting my time ?
     I'm turning 19, is it too late to learn now?
     How the hell do you do a study?

Hilariously enough, I figured the answer to most of the career questions. Still a little confused on what should I focus on at this moment to get better? I would draw faces but it'd look bad cause I haven't drawn in a while so it sent me into the loop of "I'm bad cause I don't practice. I don't practice cause I'm bad. I also know that keeping my drawings/doodles to myself is obviously not helping me. That led me to seeking out other more established artists. Seeing their beginnings and what they did to improve themselves. I eventually get word of this place, think this seems like a lovely little community, and here I am, attempting to introduce myself. 

I'd like to thank the community in advance for this opportunity and say a fine, how do you do?

Quicky FAQ:
Long-term Career Goal: Art director/Show Runner 
General Interests: Video games (Currently playing Dead Rising), animation (Cartoons, anime, etc...), television shows, Documentaries (Finished Abstract on Netflix), film (Saw Logan), Graphic novels/Comics, small techie stuff, photography, Graphic Design, Music (Currently obsessed with the 80s and some Vaporwave)

Little list of General Goals.
I wanna be a better story teller.
Learn to paint. 
Draw at least an hour a day.
Jeez. When I was your age, I didn't even think that far to make a road map of what hopefully constitutes a career of sorts. Hell, I remember draining precious time into video games!

Quote:Still a little confused on what should I focus on at this moment to get better? I would draw faces but it'd look bad cause I haven't drawn in a while so it sent me into the loop of "I'm bad cause I don't practice. I don't practice cause I'm bad. I also know that keeping my drawings/doodles to myself is obviously not helping me.

Maybe you're focusing on too much on thinking that you're psyching yourself out to do anything to put on paper.. Then again, I have no basis on giving you any advice, so let me start by saying make a thread under the Sketchbook section for starters.

Keeping your works to yourself is a double edged sword. Yes, you will be free of external expectations one may experience when something is put out publicly. I can understand how comfortable that is, and by all means there's nothing wrong with it. I got stacks of crappy drawings that can last me for 10 cold winters!

Hope you follow through with your goals. The only quantifiable goal you got is the hour a day drawing session. If you're not familiar with SMART goals, let me introduce you to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wJoRo5MdE

Hey man, looking forward to those 1 hour drawings of yours. Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(03-12-2017, 11:22 PM)John Wrote: Jeez. When I was your age, I didn't even think that far to make a road map of what hopefully constitutes a career of sorts. Hell, I remember draining precious time into video games!

Quote:Still a little confused on what should I focus on at this moment to get better? I would draw faces but it'd look bad cause I haven't drawn in a while so it sent me into the loop of "I'm bad cause I don't practice. I don't practice cause I'm bad. I also know that keeping my drawings/doodles to myself is obviously not helping me.

Maybe you're focusing on too much on thinking that you're psyching yourself out to do anything to put on paper.. Then again, I have no basis on giving you any advice, so let me start by saying make a thread under the Sketchbook section for starters.

Keeping your works to yourself is a double edged sword. Yes, you will be free of external expectations one may experience when something is put out publicly. I can understand how comfortable that is, and by all means there's nothing wrong with it. I got stacks of crappy drawings that can last me for 10 cold winters!

Hope you follow through with your goals. The only quantifiable goal you got is the hour a day drawing session. If you're not familiar with SMART goals, let me introduce you to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wJoRo5MdE

Hey man, looking forward to those 1 hour drawings of yours. Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

Thanks man, I'm gonna start by dropping some of my sketches and pieces from that portrait drawing class. Just need to get them scanned. 

Is graphic design stuff allowed on here? Making logos and the such or is it specifically just drawing?
Hey there MoodDoodler, welcome to Crimson Daggers :).

Joining a community definitely has benefits - for me the companionship, inspiration and education has definitely given my art journey a boost. I hope that you will find the same on here.

If you're aiming to improve with heads maybe check out Proko's free videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

He also has some great quality free content on figure drawing as well.

And if you need a few pointers on how to do an art study, check out this Anthony Jones video on the subject and see if it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfK46nruKM

I see that John has already gotten in and encouraged you to start up a sketchbook and I second that notion - it's a great way of getting feedback on your journey and it's great fun if you get involved with other people's sketchbooks too.

Good luck!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook