hey all!
hiya! my name is gina, i'm 19, from the united states, and i've been at this whole art thing for pretty much my whole life. being professional isn't my goal, but being professional-LEVEL is. i've gone through phases of being "serious" about art, but over the past few months, i have been putting the hours in and tackling my weaknesses one by one. it's mostly been stuff like anatomy and facial construction, reinforcing the skills i already have. 

i think i'm pretty decent at line-drawings of characters. HOWEVER! i've recently broached an area of study wayyy outside of my comfort zone: backgrounds and painting. i've never really drawn backgrounds, and my coloring is atrocious. i've always admired people who painted, but i've never been able to do it myself.

i thought that joining a community would be a good way to get feedback and document my progress as i struggle my way through what has always been the hardest thing for me. i hope to get to know lots of cool people and grow alongside you all!
Hi there Gina, welcome to the good ship Crimson Daggers!

I like the way you're going around tackling your weaknesses one by one - I reckon it will help you become a more rounded artist overall. I have been doing a similar thing myself and am learning how to paint environments by following Amit's Environment Design Rocks course on here (the official classes have finished, but Amit has generously left the resources online for free), it may be of use to you:

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-6851.html

Looking forward to seeing your progress :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(03-13-2017, 11:44 PM)Artloader Wrote: Hi there Gina, welcome to the good ship Crimson Daggers!

I like the way you're going around tackling your weaknesses one by one - I reckon it will help you become a more rounded artist overall.  I have been doing a similar thing myself and am learning how to paint environments by following Amit's Environment Design Rocks course on here (the official classes have finished, but Amit has generously left the resources online for free), it may be of use to you:

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-6851.html

Looking forward to seeing your progress :).

hi! looks like a great course! i'll dive into it once midterms are over and spring break is in full swing. environments are really tough, and something i've always avoided, but recently i've come to really admire them and the stories landscapes and interiors can tell! good luck on your art journey as well!