Yumi's sketchbook
So, let the journey begin.

I'll start with most recent stuff. Here is a couple of character thumbnails. It was the first time when I did thumbnails(for characters at least). It shouldn't be hard to guess that, looking how shitty the first ones are xD
I personally think that the last one is the best one(It was a hard decision though) so now it's time to polish it.
I'd love to know what do you think about them c:

I like the thumbnails--agreed that the last is the best. What do you look at for inspiration while making them, if anything?

Sketchbook

The first thing that gave me an inspiration for this character was probably jewellery in Ancient Egypt. I'm currently in the process of revising and digging a little bit deeper in art history for my finals and Ancient Egypt is the period that I've been studying recently. I've had a blurry vision of how the world look like in this character's universe, there is a strong diversity between upper class and the rest of the society and I thought that Ancient Egyptian jewellery could put a little bit of emphasis on it.

To make my vision clearer I wrote an outline about her. Things like her history, how she interacts with people, how she sees them, what she does in her life  etc. Then I've gathered reference photos(here is a full sheet that I've made in PureRef if you'd like to have a look at it https://i.imgur.com/LlbEvPg.jpg) and started experimenting with thumbnails, sometimes searching for new references in google.

I hope that answers your question
Nice. Yeah, my first thought was those Egyptian necklace/collars. You made them fit well with a modern look. Thanks for explaining your thought process!

Sketchbook

Nice thumbnails Yumi :).

I like 11, 13 and the last one. Nice strong poses.

Keep it going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Thanks @Artloader :D

Here is a new study. I thought that it may be a good idea to study some elegant materials and clothes before I move on to rendering my character but it somehow turned into full study. I'm not really satisfied with it(especially the face) but I'll leave it as it is and proceed to the next studies.

Here is the reference photo https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori...e6bcf5.jpg

Any critique will be appreciated!
Hi Yumi, Welcome to the forum!

I realy like your thumbnails, you managed to put lots of design and character in each one, good poses too!

As for your last study I think is very solid but you can make it better specially the face, I think the problem is not much about proportions but edges, brush control and values. Just keep practicing you are already pretty good!

Thanks @imPhelikz, I'll keep in mind your critique ^^

I haven't been updating lately so here is some recent stuff

Another bunch of studies, I may move on to rendering my character now(in between working on school assignments).

I also drew some sketchy fanarts, in the first one is Ana from Overwatch(I might do a full colour version of this one in the future) and the second one pictures Giant Dad set from Dark Souls(he's not holding his sword purposely). On days when I don't feel like doing anything I often draw fanarts, they're pretty casual and spontaneous so at least I'm drawing rather than doing anything at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. (I should probably work on not having these kind of days though)

I have some more sketches in my sketchbook but they're unfinished so I'd rather post them when I finish
New stuff, mostly schoolwork.
Me and my class went for a trip to Prague, there wasn't much time to draw so I have only a few sketches but I'm impressed by this city, really enjoyed this trip. I have photos that I plan to use as reference for sketches in the future

I also have some projects that I plan to turn into linocuts but they need to get accepted by the school first.
This is how it started

I like your pen sketches in this last post Yumi, nice value control with a pen. Also, interesting perspective on those buildings, I like them. How were those building sketches done by the way? Some of the look like they were done with an ink brush or something?

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook