HIRVIOS- Art Log
Weekly casual Sketches- (morning Sketches/ Stuff drawn during brakes/ While listening to podcasts)

Attached Files Image(s)

welcome to daggers! 

Would love to see some more observation stuff! It'd definitely benefit your design stuff since you do so much of it. just still lives/anatomy etc. even machines or things of that nature :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(01-15-2018, 07:03 AM)Fedodika Wrote: welcome to daggers! 

Would love to see some more observation stuff! It'd definitely benefit your design stuff since you do so much of it. just still lives/anatomy etc. even machines or things of that nature :)

I agree, I should cut out some time from my regular schedules to do longer, in-depth studies.
Now that you pointed it out I can't just avoid it anymore :D

You have amazing proclivity for pumping out designs. I think your understanding of gesture is sufficient but definitely would like to see more finished pieces beyond static poses.

As much as you do have, there is a lot of repeated patterns, shapes and silhouettes. As BadWoolf indicated, it's difficult to distinguish textures among your designs. For the most part they're a combination of appealing shapes and line work but just slight variations of eachother.

Your third post to this thread is your strongest work as far as content goes - great experimentation with different forms. Some really good designs among this thread worth developing.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(01-16-2018, 07:06 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: You have amazing proclivity for pumping out designs. I think your understanding of gesture is sufficient but definitely would like to see more finished pieces beyond static poses.

As much as you do have, there is a lot of repeated patterns, shapes and silhouettes. As BadWoolf indicated, it's difficult to distinguish textures among your designs. For the most part they're a combination of appealing shapes and line work but just slight variations of eachother.

Your third post to this thread is your strongest work as far as content goes - great experimentation with different forms. Some really good designs among this thread worth developing.

Thank you so much!
I've spent a lot of time with gesture drawing, so it's really satisfying to see someone recognize that!
I'm trying to put myself into the mindset of a professional concept artist by consistently pumping out designs.

You're correct, I repeat the same shapes;
This is mostly because of my lack of real-world/photos studies; My schedules are a little crammed, but it seems I should push aside some activities to give myself time for long, detailed photo studies; 
But more Importantly, before that, I should look at some Classes abut rendering ( I think Schoolism had some good ones)

Thank you for Commenting!

To be honest, content beats polish any day. Happy to see you know what your options are and are analysing your own work. Just remember not to put technique before content if your time is sparce. There's nothing to say you can't be devoted to both and learn that way.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(01-17-2018, 05:59 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: To be honest, content beats polish any day. Happy to see you know what your options are and are analysing your own work. Just remember not to put technique before content if your time is sparce. There's nothing to say you can't be devoted to both and learn that way.

SO. F-ing. TRUE.

I'm much more interested in exploring ideas than polishing stuff.
I know that I need good rendering skills to get anywhere.
But a Concept artist is hired based on his Ideas.

It's an often said advice-
Finding balance is crucial.

Awright! Time for the Weekly Update!

Starting With Figure/Gesture studies-

Attached Files Image(s)

Some Misc Studies.
These are  20-30 min each 

I've realized that my Observation-Construction skills have gone rusty, what I'm doing is searching up Lego constructions and drawing them

Also, a couple color studies, this is basically the first time I'm doing these digitally, so don't expect anything spectacular.

I've noticed that my brain tends to go into auto-pilot when I'm doing these, so I ed up turning into a copy-machine and not actually learning anything significant in the end,  so I think I need to set out goals/"purpose of what I'm aiming to learn" when doing these .

Attached Files Image(s)

Personal works-

Daily random Digi sketches
For fun!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dude fuuuuck color and shading when youre working on observation; You need to get the forms just right and dont just jump around to tons of different things, try to get one thing to look more and more correct. Say you observe something up to a say 40% accuracy, then you do five other studies up to 40% accuracy, you're not pushing your observation as much as you could by really getting into the minutia of the subject.

Like the spider thing on the far right, are those the best boxes you can draw? Can you draw through the form? Or the figures, what did you learn from that? I dont think you should worry too much about texture right now and painting, just focus on structure and making nice forms; that'll get a lot further. Then if you study material and painting just make a sphere and light it with that material and you can focus in on making a simple form lit that way

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
WIP Re-Sketching old works  (only trying to find general, interesting Shapes

Then

Refining Re-sketches

Then

One Finished Re-sketch

Attached Files Image(s)

Client Work

Working on the game "Unleashed"

Designing/ Coloring Characters 
These would be their Final Designs, now it's mostly Refining left for them

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-22-2018, 06:50 AM)Fedodika Wrote: Dude fuuuuck color and shading when youre working on observation; You need to get the forms just right and dont just jump around to tons of different things, try to get one thing to look more and more correct. Say you observe something up to a say 40% accuracy, then you do five other studies up to 40% accuracy, you're not pushing your observation as much as you could by really getting into the minutia of the subject.

Like the spider thing on the far right, are those the best boxes you can draw? Can you draw through the form? Or the figures, what did you learn from that? I dont think you should worry too much about texture right now and painting, just focus on structure and making nice forms; that'll get a lot further. Then if you study material and painting just make a sphere and light it with that material and you can focus in on making a simple form lit that way

Yes, I entirely agree to everything!
As I mentioned in the description, I've gotten very rusty at my observation-construction skills;
Half a year ago I finished most of the Drawabox challenges, I got pretty good at the end, but that was a long time ago,
clearly I need to re-practice.

Yep, I shouldn't worry about color at this stage;
Like I mentioned, this is the first time I did studies of this kind digitally, I was tempted to jump straight to the colors (I basically skipped the line drawing phase) and see how it will go.
I got Overwhelmed be all of those details, so instead of actually learning anything, I turned into a copy-machine.
At least I learned my current limits!

Yep, the ball-approach to texture would probably be the best way for me to learn textures.
Today I finished watching Cntrl Paint's gallery,  so I'm thinking of moving on to some Light n' Shadow/Rendering Class made by SVS or Schoolism   sometime soon.

Thanks for the Critique!

Heya! Just gotta say you've got a good sense of what makes an interesting silhouette for a character, they read really well. Could imagine them as recognizeable heroes in one o' them there moba games. 

Tried starting out with just a big chunk of value, almost like an ink blot (sometimes exactly like an ink blot) and then adding lines onto what already kinda reads like an interesting silhouette? 
Mostly not an ideal approach when working on concepts I guess but it sure can be a nice creative exercise, especially for those days when one feels creatively burnt out.

(01-23-2018, 09:17 AM)Adzerak Wrote: Heya! Just gotta say you've got a good sense of what makes an interesting silhouette for a character, they read really well. Could imagine them as recognizeable heroes in one o' them there moba games. 

Tried starting out with just a big chunk of value, almost like an ink blot (sometimes exactly like an ink blot) and then adding lines onto what already kinda reads like an interesting silhouette? 
Mostly not an ideal approach when working on concepts I guess but it sure can be a nice creative exercise, especially for those days when one feels creatively burnt out.

Thank you!
Yep, I believe that an interesting silhouette is key to making good characters, because it's often the first thing that the viewer recognizes.

Sounds interesting,  if I ever get art block I'd like to try it out!
I'd have a hard time explaining my process into words, but I'd really want to try out live streaming someday.
Like, maybe even just gather a bunch of art buddies  and organize a hangout where we just chat and paint.

I think I've seen boards where some of you guys try to organize something like that, but I haven't taken the time to look into it yet. 

Thanks for commenting!

Weekly Update time! 

Daily Figure/Gesture Drawings!

Attached Files Image(s)

Sami-daily Hands

7-11 min each

Attached Files Image(s)

Big Grin 
Various studies.

Every Study lasted for 30 min, except the lego study at the very bottom- that one was 40min

The way it works is.
I do 2 studies a day (so 1 row per day)
-1st image is the ref I used
-2nd Image is the study
-3rd square is me giving feedback/criticism to myself, or just writing down some thoughts

Attached Files Image(s)

Casual digi sketches

Attached Files Image(s)