Handsome Korean's Sketchbook
Quote: believe it or not that was my 3rd attempt at that sword. i realized if i changed it all and made its perspective look correctly it would mess up with the composition of the overall piece

fixed it regardless so it looks better though

Do you have an updated picture? I honestly barely see anything wrong with the sword. To me it looked good, so I'd be curious to see the fix.

Really beautiful piece and for me its nitpicking things only. With the right swords swords perspective (looking at the orange fiery part) I would've expected the handle to be just a bit more foreshortened. I think that's how I would solve it, seems like the easier way to do at least for me. Looking at it right now it's almost as if the sword is slightly curving upwards if that makes sense. It's super subtle but that's something I would try!

Like I said, beautiful piece and really well handled! :D
Truly wish I could do what you do. Dave Rapoza has always been one of my most favourite artists. But I find when I work I want to go too rendered or not enough and I can never quite capture the style or the emotion of his works (plus don't yet have the skills to paint like that). What you do is amazing and very inspiring. Thank you for taking the time to visit my SB and I look forward to seeing more from you x

🦇 33 / F / BPL UK
🖤 Imogen's Sketchbook of '22
🖤 ART Instagram
🖤 (NEW) DeviantART
🖤 Social Media Links

(06-26-2022, 04:59 AM)JosephCow Wrote:
Quote: believe it or not that was my 3rd attempt at that sword. i realized if i changed it all and made its perspective look correctly it would mess up with the composition of the overall piece

fixed it regardless so it looks better though

Do you have an updated picture? I honestly barely see anything wrong with the sword. To me it looked good, so I'd be curious to see the fix.

I updated it already on the old picture. The sword perspecive looked a little off so I had to redraw it again.
(06-26-2022, 09:28 PM)ItsAllHam Wrote: Really beautiful piece and for me its nitpicking things only. With the right swords swords perspective (looking at the orange fiery part) I would've expected the handle to be just a bit more foreshortened. I think that's how I would solve it, seems like the easier way to do at least for me. Looking at it right now it's almost as if the sword is slightly curving upwards if that makes sense. It's super subtle but that's something I would try!

Like I said, beautiful piece and really well handled! :D
thank you. Yes I need to work on foreshortening.
(06-27-2022, 10:54 AM)miimogenation Wrote: Truly wish I could do what you do. Dave Rapoza has always been one of my most favourite artists.  But I find when I work I want to go too rendered or not enough and I can never quite capture the style or the emotion of his works (plus don't yet have the skills to paint like that).  What you do is amazing and very inspiring. Thank you for taking the time to visit my SB and I look forward to seeing more from you x

Appreciate your kind words. I also struggle with capturing the emotion in my paintings so I've been doing some still studies from film/shows to improve that skill.

New piece i've worked on. Been trying to revamp my process to increase speed and realism/lighting to my paintings.
I did some studies from film screencaps before attempting this painting.
[Image: 1gN9hEr.jpg]
I observe something interesting you use a square frame often do you intend to do portrait or card art in the future?If so why this format?

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Looks awesome. Would be super fun to see the studies you've done from films as well, only if you wish to share of course. I really love the green subtle second light source casting light on his nose. The values there look really well balanced. I do think as for a tiny critique that the green light on his forehead to the left is a tad too intense. It makes that subtle rounded plane shift feel a bit too dramatic. Nitpicking really :)
The last piece reminds of a necromancer from Diablo 2. Well done!

(07-28-2022, 12:59 PM)one_two Wrote: The last piece reminds of a necromancer from Diablo 2. Well done!
Nothing wrong aslong as he doing it as a personal piece.Close enough.You can still see the shoulder influence and the hair style.His look more noble i would say.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(07-28-2022, 04:52 AM)darktiste Wrote: I observe something interesting you use a square frame often do you intend to do portrait or card art in the future?If so why this format?

I was just intending to create a portrait piece fo this one aandusually always start with 3000x3000 as default. also the square format is good for instagram posting. 
(07-28-2022, 11:36 AM)ItsAllHam Wrote: Looks awesome. Would be super fun to see the studies you've done from films as well, only if you wish to share of course. I really love the green subtle second light source casting light on his nose. The values there look really well balanced. I do think as for a tiny critique that the green light on his forehead to the left is a tad too intense. It makes that subtle rounded plane shift feel a bit too dramatic. Nitpicking really :)
yes, I think I will start posting my studies here so more people can see my process if interested.
(07-28-2022, 12:59 PM)one_two Wrote: The last piece reminds of a necromancer from Diablo 2. Well done!

(07-28-2022, 01:39 PM)darktiste Wrote:
Nothing wrong aslong as he doing it as a personal piece.Close enough.You can still see the shoulder influence and the hair style.His look more noble i would say.
yup, it's the necromancer from diablo 2. got temporariyl hooked into playing diablo2 reusrrected for the last couple weeks which is why i didn't post too much art this month.
Loving the armor design on your latest, as well as the figure's expression. Lighting is very dynamic and lively as well, keep it up!

(07-31-2022, 07:49 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Loving the armor design on your latest, as well as the figure's expression.  Lighting is very dynamic and lively as well, keep it up!
thank you bro. just working on my skills daily

ive been taking a different approach to art lately. less focused on producing/posting finished pieces and more focsed on increasing my skill, speed and understanding of drawing and perspective. 
[Image: 7arVu3Y.jpg]
Nice update with your latest, you tackled a bunch of different themes and it worked out incredibly well. Loving your style as well, keep it up!

(08-14-2022, 08:08 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Nice update with your latest, you tackled a bunch of different themes and it worked out incredibly well.  Loving your style as well, keep it up!
thank you, yup i think doing these small studies is helping me solve problems alot easier when i do full renderings

pretty happy how this piece turned out. spending less and less time doing these too.
Mayan Khan
[Image: lszYsn4.jpg]
hate the way this one came out
glad to be done with it though

the caananite
[Image: BETOXPV.jpg]
doing some  studies of things im not good at clothes and legs
[Image: 8XjaAcb.jpg]
The bottom half of the leg look good but i think you put to much volume on your knee and your thigh look like an american football shape but i guess it a women leg so the thigh can be bigger than in men because it normal gender different right now the leg is to bulky i don't know if you want you women to be bodybuilder look a like but i would avoid over emphasing and instead make the leg more stream line rather than ballony.Nothing wrong with stylize but it as to be intentional which i can't tell if it on purpose or not so i just noted.Also for women feet you can go smaller.

You can always use the liquify tool if you gone to far to squash or change the contour of the leg.I also use the puppet wrap option but nothing beat practice.

To have nice women stylize leg you want to check your proportion and make them one head longer. That mean 5 head from the pelvis to the foot.

Your cloth doesn't look so bad but i think you need to working on drawing more pant from baggy cloth to jean etc different material thickness make a difference in the way thing fold.For example baggy pant fold tend to be more curve and jean fold tend to be more sharp or angular if you prefer.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(08-26-2022, 08:52 PM)darktiste Wrote: The bottom half of the leg look good but i think you put to much volume on your knee and your thigh look like an american football shape but i guess it a women leg so the thigh can be bigger than in men because it normal gender different right now the leg is to bulky i don't know if you want you women to be bodybuilder look a like but i would avoid over emphasing and instead make the leg more stream line rather than ballony.Nothing wrong with stylize but it as to be intentional which i can't tell if it on purpose or not so i just noted.Also for women feet you can go smaller.

You can always use the liquify tool if you gone to far to squash or change the contour of the leg.I also use the puppet wrap option but nothing beat practice.

To have nice women stylize leg you want to check your proportion and make them one head longer. That mean 5 head from the pelvis to the foot.

Your cloth doesn't look so bad but i think you need to working on drawing more pant from baggy cloth to jean etc different material thickness make a difference in the way thing fold.For example baggy pant fold tend to be more curve and jean fold tend to be more sharp or angular if you prefer.
appreciate the feedback.
I wasn't really focusing on making the legs look ideal, just wanted to get the angles of the knees and perspective right since that is already  hard in and of itself.
as for clothes, i agree. ill keep practiicing to get better.

trying some lighting practice
[Image: QaqzjNZ.png]

edit: fixed accordign to advice
I have trouble explaining this one but her breast look flat even those it should feel like they have volume.I guess she wearing a push up bra with pad.Do you have a reference on this one so i can compare?

On a lighter note(pun intended) i think the arm on the left should be slightly darker due to the proximity it as with body who would cast it shadow on the arm since the light come from the left is dimmer than the light source on the right.

I try playing with the fold but i realize i was an idiot you can ignore the small change in the pov.

The POV is only to show the difference it can make.It doesn't strive for correct color.

Personally i think studying lighting is mostly studying value relation but the more you progress the more it about color mix.So depending where you find yourself in this range of learning(beginner vs pro) i either recommend doing turning color image into grey scale study or just simple color still life.Making complex piece is counter intuitive to focus learning unless what you are doing in those study is actually what i would call a master study which is putting every fundamental to the test.In that case it probably better to just do that exactly study the master.But maybe what you were doing was a test study of your own.

The hard part is for me to understand the way you work and suggesting alternative.

I think the trap some experience artist can fall into now a day is trying to make every drawing a master piece meaning you never focus on individual fundamental.Here you say you study light but there like all the other fundamental in the way of what you are studying i am not saying those fundamental do not interact with one an other but what i am saying is you don't need complex subject to understand simple principl.What this mean is it more important to understand those principle than it is to be able to excute because you can fix the excution but you can't produce good art if you don't understand the principle it would be luck if you don't understand the principle.

A study shouldn't be done so you have something to show i know... that hard in this day in age to deal with. Personally the more boring the subject matter the is the easier it is to focus on good fundamental but that might just be how i think... i am guilt of charge of doing not enough of those type of study myself but we can always do better.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
This is a fantastic study IMO, you nailed the lighting and form, most especially on the face which looks ridiculously good. Not sure how far you want to take this study, but it's already very well done.

^thank you
Theyre just studies so I don't intend to make them perfect and try not to spend too much time tweaking or nitpicking on the imperfections.
I think of all the things I struggled with on my last piece and then gather reference material to study those things I didn't understand. If I learn how to do just one thing better after the study, I feel it's served it's purpose. Spending additional time after just to fix and nitpick seems trivial and counterproductive.

This is a sketchbook afterall so I intend to post all my studies and practice pieces to record my own progress regardless of any accusations about my intentions.

some more studies to practice rthings Ive been struggling with

[Image: ulw0uX3.jpg]
[Image: g45IpRO.png]