Mochiman's sketchbook
Have been feeling pretty apathetic the last handful of days so haven't done much even outside of drawing but will update again soon.
Where the source of that indifference coming from?Tried of trying?Perhaps your doing to many thing that aren't recharging your motivation.Might be that you need to sleep more or on the reverse you sleep to much and there something your trying to avoid.If you have a problem but you don't want to confront it it not going to go away necessarly.But i am not gonna assume to much and let you explain if you want what might be the source of that apathy.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Depression mostly. I see a doctor for it regularly but having difficulty making much progress still.
(06-16-2020, 07:12 AM)Mochiman Wrote: Depression mostly. I see a doctor for it regularly but having difficulty making much progress still.
Unfriending all the female "friends" on social media that I couldn't ever imagine writing to me first cured most of my depression. My out-of-the-blue theory was that my monkey brain was perceiving just reading their names as reminders of rejections that never happened (maybe in my dreams). Anyway, I went from bad to perfectly average (not good, not bad!) overnight.

I would still advise 2h walks with audiobooks over anything else though. If you can draw while listening that's good too!

Anyway, consult your doctor first and say hi from me ^^
Yeah social media is really dangerous there. I don't use any of the main ones like facebook and try to limit what I use elsewhere as I've definitely felt social media has had that impact on me for varying reasons. I definitely do need to get out more, especially given everything with Corona now.
Well i think music can help you maybe you should try what is call estatic dance.It basicly a dance to release all your negative emotion it a dance where your want to feel tired afterward letting go of thing you feel are blocking you letting go of the need to control everything the need to appear a certain way.It a dance that seek to bring you closer to being comfortable as well as uncomfortable in your own body it a dance where you observe yourself free of judgement.It a dance that invite you to allow yourself to just be happy.I know it probably alien to you or maybe it sound like some kind of voodoo exercise but depending on your openess you can feel like you cleaned yourself from some weight.It hard to explain what it can do for you but like anything the more you believe in the therapeutic effect the more it can change your brain chemistry.We have to realize that we can be trap in were own way of thinking and it important to be able to let were mind expression certain emotion.You can dance slowly and cry you can dance and jump of joy you can laugh rolling around the importance is that you try not to hold those emotion that you let them free.I know it probably not something that seem like a logical way to deal with emotion but sometime expressing emotion in a more abstract manner is a good way to release it when word seem to get hold back.It certain can be hard on someone to hold there emotion they feel really alone trying to get people to understand how they feel.You have to realize you don't need the permission of other to express yourself or people to validate your choose it just a bonus when people agree with you.

I don't know what to add but i hope you get well soon and if dancing isn't your thing well maybe you can try to put your thought into drawing or maybe write some poetry about how you feel but don't let your emotion get trap inside.

I am not sure if this post can help you http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4785.html maybe it can help you identify some of your problem.The idea is not to feel guilty for yourself always visualize a door when thing seem like there no end to them.

My Sketchbook
I'm not much of a dancer but physical activity can help sometimes for me. Not always though I've found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tSTk1083VY

Get a few audiobooks, walk a few hundred miles over a period of a few weeks, reassess. The above link may provide some inspiration ^^ That's walk one btw, download the podcast and get on your way!
More of a podcast guy yeah but some walks are good advice.
Just something small to get started again

You never run out of mileage practicing cylinder next lvl is without the box around it much much harder and the level beyond that is cylinder inside cylinder or pipe system as i would say where you get bending cylinder a good exercise to test you construction skill.

My Sketchbook
Yeah I need to draw a lot more cylinders with and without a box. It's hard getting them really looking right.

Just did something for fun for tonight. Not great or anything but better than I expected. Haven't really painted much outside what I've already posted here so just kind of winged it.

Just a couple more pages of cylinders

It better to have confident line making over overworking your line.You can trace over your circle but try to limit yourself if you trace more than once that no a good thing .It the muscle memory your after it ok if the ellipse doesn't close completely but try to get as near as possible as one shot ellipse.In digital you will always have the freedom to trace over your ellipse and clean them up it getting close to the finish product that is essential not overworking.Just my 2 cent.

Here a other exercise to practice ellipse this one is more about sensing the degree of the ellipse as it move toward the horizon or away from it.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Yeah you're definitely right. Messy ellipses hold me back a lot.
Studied a bit from one of the basic lessons in how to render. Not quite sure I have it right but will read through the chapter again more thoroughly soon.

Great stuff! Went through most of the pages of your sketchbook.
You are exemplifying the old adage - paraphrasing - Any craft, including drawing, is well applied basics.

Related to your ellipses, one thing i could add, is to have a bit more care when you are drawing them. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but, they look like they have doubled, or unnecessary lines in them. One idea would be to try "ghosting" the ellipse, before throwing it down, beyond that, great way to handle the perspective with them.

Learning the craft myself, and trying to "slow down" as they say, because my problem is trying to go ultra fast with everything.

PS: Warhammer 40K fan? HELLO!!!! Shock

Yeah I definitely struggle with patience/going too fast. I try to slow down sometimes but easier said than done I guess.

And yeah a big 40k fan.
Nothing too exciting

Nice amount of mileage on the recent studies! Are you working your way through Scott Robertsons books? Make sure to take it one step at the time in that case and not overwhelm yourself.

Keep up the good work! :)