Hey guys, I need some help!
Hello everyone, i am new to the crimson daggers and have been drawing for a while but i feel like i'm getting nowhere. could u guys give me a critique on this piece. I don't really understand color yet so i decided to try some gray scale first to understand value better. Would be cool if you guys could give me some advice on that too. any and all help is appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello DILO. It is indeed a good idea to start with gray scale if you're having trouble with values. It looks like you did a good job of making the shading basically consistent. But it looks very dull because you only have two shades of gray that are very close in value, which isn't outright wrong, but most images need a much higher level of contrast to be effective. I suggest using a greater range of values or increasing the contrast between the two you already have (I.E make the light parts lighter and the dark parts darker). If you want more realism, you'll definitely want to add more values; at least one each for light, midtone, and shadow; or one for highlight, light, midtone, shadow, reflected light, and so on, if you want to go all the w ay.

Now here's the tricky thing. Even if I could tell you everything that you did wrong, I think it wouldn't help you much. The reason for that is you said you feel like you're getting nowhere, which makes me think you need a good book or other resource to give you some guidance. This is one book that I found helpful, and it's free: https://archive.org/details/Andrew_Loomi...ul_Drawing

The section about lighting and values starts at around the middle of the book. The description of highlights is not ~completely~ technically correct but, overall, it's a very good summary of the basic principles of depicting values. I also suggest reading this page for a more technically thorough summary: http://www.huevaluechroma.com/021.php

Let me know if you have any questions.
Photo 
(05-29-2020, 04:25 AM)DILO Wrote: Hello everyone, i am new to the crimson daggers and have been drawing for a while but i feel like i'm getting nowhere. could u guys give me a critique on this piece. I don't really understand color yet so i decided to try some gray scale first to understand value better. Would be cool if you guys could give me some advice on that too. any and all help is appreciated.
It looks like you are doing a stylized blizzard-ish style. I grabbed some concept art from an image search and posterized it. Try matching those values to the parts of the image, where they're used, and then use it as your pallet on your image.
[Image: T8SLwMT.png]