Help with reflective surfaces?
So this is a WIP.  I could use some critique and a little mind power.

The shoulder is and top of helmet are black, smooth, reflective surfaces.  I've looked around the house and a photos online but I'm not really sure if the light bends with the curves.  Maybe I think too much but I don't get how light would function on a surface not only black but any really reflective surface....

SO  lighting?  And of course anything else someone wants to mention.  I need it all!

Why are you focusing on paiting when you should still be spending much more time drawing and understanding concept such as light and value... don't put the chariot before the horse.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(09-10-2020, 12:15 PM)darktiste Wrote: Why are you focusing on paiting when you should still be spending much more time drawing and understanding concept such as light and value... don't but the chariot before the horse.
Mmkay.  Do you know where I can practice using values and light (I've been practicing with my little lamp and different objects to paint)?  And what do you mean by drawing?  Line art?  Pen/pencil?

Light and shadow can be complex at first so it best to find an introduction to light.I would recommend -Scott Robertson - How to Render - The Fundamentals of Light, Shadow and Reflectivity

but it might be a bit to advance for you so i advise to supplement your learning with https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library scroll down a bit down and you will find a ton of link to different topic that might help you anwers your question of course it won't be enough to just watch the video you will have either the option of trying the exercise he propose if he does or try to come up with your own way to practice the concept you are learning in the video.

Painting and drawing a two different medium drawing is the basis of paiting it basicly how to apply a stroke in essense how to create a under drawing for a paiting etc.Drawing is not necessarly line art.For example realistic drawing don't have outline around the figure like you would see in comic.Drawing can be done with pen/pencil/marker.

My Sketchbook
(09-11-2020, 03:33 AM)darktiste Wrote: Light and shadow can be complex at first so it best to find an introduction to light.I would recommend -Scott Robertson - How to Render - The Fundamentals of Light, Shadow and Reflectivity

but it might be a bit to advance for you so i advise to supplement your learning with https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library scroll down a bit down and you will find a ton of link to different topic that might help you anwers your question of course it won't be enough to just watch the video you will have either the option of trying the exercise he propose if he does or try to come up with your own way to practice the concept you are learning in the video.

Painting and drawing a two different medium drawing is the basis of paiting it basicly how to apply a stroke in essense how to create a under drawing for a paiting etc.Drawing is not necessarly line art.For example realistic drawing don't have outline around the figure like you would see in comic.Drawing can be done with pen/pencil/marker
Cool!  I'll pick up that book, it looks great!  I'll also check out ctrlpaint

Okay.  I'll work on that.  I've been also doing gesture drawings and trace overs btw.  I usually use a reference this is the first painting I did without one in a while.  I think I need to learn the drawing side some more as you said (just like analyzing underneath)... like form and structure?

Thanks for the advise btw.

Reference aren't bad it a amateur missconception that people who draw can invent from there head directly into paper and that people who use reference are just newbie this kind of viewpoint is detrimental to artist who want to progress.There nothing that prevent you from being proefficient at drawing from your head if that what your inspiring to do but the general rule is not to be married to the reference as to avoid copyright infringement it can be hard at first for artist to determine this kind of thing since there little to no way to determine this the rule of thumb is to change it enough that there no way to tell.

My Sketchbook
(09-11-2020, 04:11 AM)darktiste Wrote: Reference aren't bad it a amateur missconception that people who draw can invent from there head directly into paper and that people who use reference are just newbie this kind of viewpoint is detrimental to artist who want to progress.There nothing that prevent you from being proefficient at drawing from your head if that what your inspiring to do but the general rule is not to be married to the reference as to avoid copyright infringement it can be hard at first for artist to determine this kind of thing since there little to no way to determine this the rule of thumb is to change it enough that there no way to tell.
I can understand that.  Next time I'll do digging and use a reference. I prefer it that way anyway.  Sometimes I forget that it's okay to use a reference, instead of my head, (mainly due to fear of copyright infringement).