ArcaneAlfonzo's Sketchbook
Hi all, very new here!

I'm trying to get a better hang on digital art and so am just easing myself in and seeing what everything tool/feature does with a few studies from photo reference. Didn't finish the dog and hair pieces as I ran into trouble rendering them; hair is something I'm having trouble with. Might come back to it or might just move onto the next exercise.
I'm open to any criticisms people have so feel free to FIRE AWAY  Bomb

Attached Files Image(s)

The cloth look great the rest could use more mileage.Try to think about the break up of your silhouette to imply texture to.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I think the black-golden colors on the dress in the upper right corner look awesome!

And I deeply admire your nickname!

(07-18-2020, 04:44 AM)darktiste Wrote: The cloth look great the rest could use more mileage.Try to think about the break up of your silhouette to imply texture to.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, although I usually have more issue trying to breal up the hair into distinguishable shapes while also showing the intricate details.
Seem like great study the only problem is the scale we can see them at.You go the real deal we got those miniature.Try to make them big else it might be hard for your viewer to give you advise.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Some anatomy studies from the past week. Trying to focus in on some problem areas so when I return to full figure I won't have as many issues. Also want to improve the accuracy of my no ref drawings. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Some portrait studies from ref

Attached Files Image(s)

Keeping at the digital practice. Another reference study but this time did a bigger canvas and found it helped as well as trying another method of going about the rendering.

Attached Files Image(s)

The studies are looking good, even though there are some common beginner issues such as inability to render the diffirent materials clearly (Hair and skin look the same for example) and some issues with painting only hard edges and such.

I suggest that you start something called "project-based learning". Create a full illustration and do studies to improve the illustration. Finish it, then move on to the next with new studies. You will learn much faster and easier if you apply your studies to personal work.

Good luck and keep posting! :)

For that exercise are you doing a painting followed by related studies and then using the studies to inform and fix mistakes? Am I understanding that correctly? Sounds like a cool idea to actually see results from studies right away.
(08-26-2020, 12:33 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: The studies are looking good, even though there are some common beginner issues such as inability to render the diffirent materials clearly (Hair and skin look the same for example) and some issues with painting only hard edges and such.

I suggest that you start something called "project-based learning". Create a full illustration and do studies to improve the illustration. Finish it, then move on to the next with new studies. You will learn much faster and easier if you apply your studies to personal work.

Good luck and keep posting! :)Thanks 
Thanks! This advice is very pointed and useful. One question, when going about project-based learning, would you recommend maybe draw a rough draft of your illustration, then doing as many studies as you think you’d need before moving on to finish? Or is it more rewarding to simultaneously work on the illustration and studies as the need to do them arises?
(08-27-2020, 09:33 AM)Mochiman Wrote: For that exercise are you doing a painting followed by related studies and then using the studies to inform and fix mistakes? Am I understanding that correctly? Sounds like a cool idea to actually see results from studies right away.
Basically the idea is I want to get better at rendering characters digitally. At this moment in time, I’m looking at the face and portraits. The exercise with four different faces was at a smaller canvas size and I approached each in a different manner (ie) different brushes, line then tone, using different layers. The idea then is to move onto this larger canvas size study and use what I’ve learned from the previous exercises. I do other studies traditionally as well to supplement what I’m doing digitally.
For project based learning, I suggest that you take a little while to study the methods of professional artists. Do they start with thumbnails and rough sketches to get their ideas down? Probably they do, so why not take some classes on composition before you start your thumbnail sketches.

Once you know what kind of image you will make, do some studies and sketches of your subject matter and take a lot of notes as you work. Then do further studies of the materials, subjects and such in your illustration to gain a better understanding of your subjects. Do this as you continue to work.

Once you have finished your illustration, think back on what gave you most trouble and go back to study these fundamentals. Then start a new illustration.

Hope this rough explanation helps.