bird drawing
how are my proportions?

Attached Files Image(s)

Pretty common error you made the head bigger than it actually is.If you want to check quickly for proportion without people help there two method i recommend flip the image upside down and checking the proportion of individual part or take a 15min pause and come back to your drawing with a fresh eye.

What is noticeable for me is you miss the roundness of the back.

Proportion aren't an hard science.It a matter of point in space that form shape that create the silhouette of object but it also being able to understand the space occupied by one object compare to an other.That probably the shortest way to explain it.

I added an abstract example you might be able to read without my explaination but if you have question about it i can also answers it more.

Note that in the first row you shouldn't put your image side by side if you work digital to establish proportion there method to find and measure distance here it only to show that point in space can be establish easily for self correction pretty easly if necessary.

It doesn't matter if you drawing isn't perfect from the start you can draw really lightly until you ready to commit but before it always best to flip the reference and your work to compare them.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(05-16-2021, 12:56 PM)darktiste Wrote: Pretty common error you made the head bigger than it actually is.If you want to check quickly for proportion without people help there two method i recommend flip the image upside down and checking the proportion of individual part or take a 15min pause and come back to your drawing with a fresh eye.

Proportion aren't an hard science.It a matter of point in space that form shape that create the silhouette of object but it also being able to understand the space occupied by one object compare to an other.That probably the shortest way to explain it.

I added an abstract example you might be able to read without my explaination but if you have question about it i can also answers it more.

Note that in the first row you shouldn't put your image side by side if you work digital to establish proportion there method to find and measure distance here it only to show that point in space can be establish easily for self correction pretty easly if necessary.

It doesn't matter if you drawing isn't perfect from the start you can draw really lightly until you ready to commit but before it always best to flip the reference and your work to compare them.
Thank you, this helps me a lot, flipping the reference upside down on the computer is the same as flipping your digital drawing to the right or left, right? I never tried it before, I will do it the next time I draw
(05-16-2021, 12:56 PM)darktiste Wrote: Pretty common error you made the head bigger than it actually is.If you want to check quickly for proportion without people help there two method i recommend flip the image upside down and checking the proportion of individual part or take a 15min pause and come back to your drawing with a fresh eye.

Today I've been drawing a lot and I've been mainly rotating images it really suits me especially for the makeshift set up I draw with. I wanted to show you how this helped me, the proportions aren't perfect but I think they improved a lot

Attached Files Image(s)

If there anything i can add right now is to start to think about negative shape if your aren't already aware of the concept and maybe if your aware of it maybe to be actively thinking about it during the process and not just in the back of your head.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(05-18-2021, 03:37 PM)darktiste Wrote: If there anything i can add right now is to start to think about negative shape if your aren't already aware of the concept and maybe if your aware of it maybe to be actively thinking about it during the process and not just in the back of your head.
I will start doing that to, thank you