FeralBroccoli’s sketchbook
Hey, thanks for checking out my sketchbook. I’m looking forward to becoming a better artist and I’m super excited to find this community especially after conceptart.org closed down. I’m always interested in hearing feedback about my work and if you wanna tell me what sucks about it please feel free.

These concepts are some environment practice

Attached Files Image(s)

We all start somewhere.We are already were worst enemy in most case so no need to add anyone to the mix.Aslong as you stay authentic about the desire to improve we will be here.Welcome fren.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Good stuff, i like some of the ideas, just keep on going.
I think you could (more or less) instantly improve the general feel of your sketches by pushing the values a bit, basicly making the lighter parts lighter, and the darker parts darker.
Take the last one with the mushroom cave for instance, if you make the light coming in through the entrance quite a bit lighter, as well as the highlights on the mushrooms, and make the walls darker, especially around the edges of the canvas, i think the forms of the elements in the picture, as well as the "cave atmosphere" will become much clearer.

Thanks Darktiste, and sorry about that I’ll try to keep the negative self talk out of my posts  Wink

Thanks for that feedback Fjellmund. I am struggling with value control, I think that will help my compositions a lot.

Here are some gesture drawings I’ve been working on. This is probably the hardest part of figure drawing for me, but I think I’m really liking the approach by Michael Hampton. It makes more sense to me than the Stan Prokopenko approach which I find hard to draw. Does anybody else know about some gesture drawing techniques? I’d like to try out some different approaches.

Attached Files Image(s)

You can try the Vilipu method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_2rL1K1mg i am not sure how different it is i am not strong in gesture drawing.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Looks good, I really like the recent gestures. Seems like you're focusing on what's mostly important in a gesture. A gesture is just an idea, it's thinking with the pencil, and starting *something*. There's usually little time to worry about anatomy and that kind of stuff and that's what I like about yours. Firstly in gestures I tend to think about the movement, and the story, well, the gesture I suppose. Proportional issues and stuff like that is something you can fix as you go, but it's not the most important thing I think.

Not too much to say right now but to add to your current landscape concepts you've posted I would suggest keep doing them but also do quicker compositional studies from older masters to see how they composed images.

Keep it up! :D
Thanks for all the feedback! I've been working on the mannequinization exercises from Proko as well as some environment sketching.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your gestures are really good. Nice fluid lines and poses.

Tiny nit — IMO don't loose sight of physical proportions even in studies.

The grey-scale environments show a lot of promise.

Good work and keep 'em coming!

Thanks @Jephyr! Proportions have always been one of my biggest challenges.

I guess I'm moving away from 'mannequin' drawings and just doing more structural drawings at this point  Rolling eyes, funny thought I've also included some composition studies I did from the movie Ad Astra.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great work here! Your figure studies are particularly impressive, very well drawn with great gesture and form. Your grayscale paintings look solid, I think it's a great idea to keep your focus on values... although you can always use a limited color palette if you get bored with working in grayscale. Keep it up, looking forward to more from you!

Nice, it is so interesting to see how other people are drawing figures.
Hope you are still active and continue showing mannequins, it is just interesting.
Sorry all for the break. I really appreciate the feedback! I have been working recently on drawing heads/skulls. I am building the head outward and still learning anatomy. Here are a collection of drawings that I did while observing photos of models in various poses. I am trying to get the structure(if not proportions) of the skull and a few of the muscles. I'm also trying to place in the eyes and tarsal plates.

I'm looking for a good way to draw the skull from imagination in perspective. Any advice or methods would be awesome :-)

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-09-2023, 03:31 PM)feralbroccoli Wrote: Sorry all for the break. I really appreciate the feedback! I have been working recently on drawing heads/skulls. I am building the head outward and still learning anatomy. Here are a collection of drawings that I did while observing photos of models in various poses. I am trying to get the structure(if not proportions) of the skull and a few of the muscles. I'm also trying to place in the eyes and tarsal plates.

I'm looking for a good way to draw the skull from imagination in perspective. Any advice or methods would be awesome :-)

Nice skulls. I like the form sketching that you have going.

On a side note, are you still working on environments?

(04-09-2023, 03:31 PM)feralbroccoli Wrote: I'm looking for a good way to draw the skull from imagination in perspective. Any advice or methods would be awesome :-)

One common method is to construct it from the cranial box, then add the fixed facial bones, then the mobile lower jaw. You can start with an elongated ball and a box, then refine. Give it a try!

Welcome back! The skulls are aesthetically very interesting, I've never seen ones depicted like that before. They also have all landmarks needed to become full illustrations, my only beef is that they're a bit too Loomis-like: Growing from a severed sphere and narrow.

To avoid it it can be more useful to think of the brain case as an egg, then give the temples a bit more mass and you're all set.