Sketchbook: Version 1.5
really good studies. Ic an tell you have a firm understanding of the head in 3dimension.
would like to see you apply this knowledge to a painting. If you're having difficulty with colors, i would suggest downloading some sargent or Zorn paintings as well as take some screenshots from a movie scene to get the lighting right and compare and contrast with the master paintings to see how they apply lighting.
darktiste - Yeah...I really do want to carry on with Loomis and really nail that foundation. Master studies can't hurt though. Also, yes...I do copy from comics sometimes for that stylisation.

handsomekorean - Thanks for dropping by. I really do want to do all the things you suggested. Thanks for the input.

-----

Ok...Black Friday came about and I got a good deal on an expensive sketchbook. So, some fun with digital painting/drawing inbound. I'm using the sketchbook app. 

Some Loomis method from imagination, to see how it's sticking. A portrait using the mirror tool (cheating I know) and some rendering on a monster sketch. Testing brushes really.

My son has been off sick today and of course I'm off work to take care of him. He fell asleep, so I thought I'd set up a simple still life to study.

Nice work on the apple study, you captured the lighting quite well there!

cgmythology - Thanks. I had a lot of fun doing it. Learnt a few things too.

-----

Update...

You know what the beauty of digital? You don't have to work on any part in particular you can approch drawing with a more equal approch since you don't need to wait for paint to dry.For example in the monster piece you can approch value more as a whole... some people like to develop a specific part of a drawing but i think the trap of that is not having a overall approch to the value structure sure you can pull it out but i feel it will be much more difficult to get a taste of where thing are going with that approch as the rendering is unbalanced .

The draw back of drawing with a more work all over the place kind of approch is that it can take a will to see something satifying so it can be demoralising sometime.But i would say the result is more harmonize that way as you apply the brush stroke with the same weight all over rather than being force to change the brush size in a cycle as you render each part.Also i find this approch alot more satifying when using texture brush as as i said you do pass in a more harmonize fashion the texture doesn't risk being over done somewhere and some place not at all just because you forget somewhere... and have to go back.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
darktiste - Thanks again for your input. I am finding digital quite satisfying. More on the lines of not having to wash brushes, and replace water/oil for cleaner strokes. I like being able to draw and paint in the dark. I do however miss the feel of traditional media. I will be doing more of that (I know Santa is delivering me some watercolours) 

I am having so much fun on my tablet right now. Here's to hope. Hope and wanting to get better at this!

-----

Update...1st from imagination and 2nd from life....

Did you idealize the skull or did you made an obeservational study when drawing that skull if you did a study i would say it no really the color i am seeing it darker and feel more united(gradiant very similar) but also it reflect the wood so there a mixture of those color that should mix in the skull color specially on the down facing part.

My Sketchbook
darktiste - it is stylised a bit yes. I'll start by saying my observational colour picking is no where near on point. However the camera picture from my phone is vastly different to what I was seeing. I didn't care about the table or surrounding either. It's the structure, colour and shadow of the main subject I care about. I want to buil up skills in portraits mainly.

----

Nothing much...some fun digitally and a minor 4am study (couldn't get back to sleep)

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work with the skull, very creepy! Solid brushwork as well.

cgmythology - Thanks...I'm loving painting on tablet right now, even though I till prefer sketching in pencil.

----

Update....some photo studies, some life studies/observation and some fun digi sketching on the tablet.

Inked my Batman. After Jason Fabok

I think that a great presentation and the texture of the table is nice and the pen are a cool peek into the process in term of tool being utilized.Great study on form i think that really the first time i feel as if i could grab something out of the paper.

For the batmen piece my advise would be to color your shadow following the volume rather than to just fill the space. Atleast that way the ''stripping'' contribute to creating a subtle wireframe type effect.

If you shade flat you will ultimately i believe remove some of that volume just as i said due to the stripping effect no longer following the form.

Also i invite you to look at the bat symbol for example and zoom in to look that he is deliberatly shading to avoid that flatttening.One other thing to consider is the paper and marker if you use marker you want a paper that doesn't drink to much ink and give you strong black maybe the marker is old and need to be refill maybe it just the lighting that is catching the ink a certain way because some ink might be more reflective than other.But most of the stripping effect i believe as to do with the alchool in the marker which determine how fast it dry don't quote me on that.

You can always do more of the hatching to distract from that undesired effect that an other alternative but you would need a finer pen because that one you use was kinda to thic compare to the reference.(We do with what we have i get it...)

Anyway sorry for the nitpick rambling if you find that useful that even greater.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Great updated with your sketches and inking, Batman came out great. Happy New Year as well, keep up the great work!

darktiste - Some helpful advice there. Thanks a lot for the continuous insights. It's greatly appreciated!

cgmythology - Thank you. Your words are encouraging. It really helps in keeping me wanting to grow.

-----

I've not had much chance to do much over the holidays. Busy with family and Xmas shenanigans. It's been nice for a bit of a break. Eventhough drawing has constantly been on my mind. It does feel like a nice fresh start though.

Got some cool, new, tools to play with. I hope everyone had a good Xmas and Happy New Year.

Let's see how things improve after a whole full year at this. Let's go!

Really digging those observational studies + this skull^^^! SICK!

Nice updates, the skull came out great as well!

ballpoint - Thanks so much. I was really both happy and surprised at how well the watercolour and ink work together. I'd like to do more of this.

cgmythology - Thanks for your continual support. It really is appreciated!

-----

Ok...just a few studies from photographs for construction studies. Not much.

However, on another note. I've found some life drawing classes close by. They run once a month, so I am going to get my backside down there. 

I am not giving up this time around!

Trying to work this little portrait up and a quick sketch from imagination...