Finding a motivational comic critique
Hey everyone. I haven't posted here in yearsss but am currently on a journey to find an old post I saw years ago and am wondering if anyone here could help me. I think I originally saw it on the CA forums, which are sadly gone.

It was a post with a 10 or 20 or so page comic, I think from the like 90s or early 00s, that was an old-school adventure comic that another artist had drawn over and critiqued. It also had two or three pages of handwritten advice, one of which I printed out and taped to my wall years ago. This is what I have:

[Image: 309775882_808480463719563_20498460364129...e=6363E318]

It looks like the artist giving the critique was ME or MET. I would LOVE to find these again and any help is SERIOUSLY appreciated. Thank you!!

Man. Unless somebody here saved all those images, I think our only hope is finding the thread on the wayback machine, if it's there. Do you have any hunches about which subforum it was in (e.g. lounge, Art Discussion, etc), and roughly what year it was when you saw it?
This kinda good advice. I liked it. SO many exclamation points.

Oh and I have no idea who wrote this, sorry.

GOOGLE FU ACTIVATE

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Might help if I posted the link too... https://www.artofthecomicbook.com/blog/a...-rude.html

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Damn, good job Rotten. I tried searching a couple phrases but it brought up nothing. Your Google fu is greater.

EDIT: I had been using Bing for the better image search, but it failed to bring up that page while Google succeeded. When in doubt, try a different search engine.
I figured someone would have transcribed it so it was just a matter of searching for not-so-typical phrases as exact terms using "".

Hence in bold, searching "That's all kiddo! Study our old masters" brought it up.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Wow nice find Rotten. I didn't realize the full context. I think that critique was definitely quite harsh. Although I almost want to say some of the points are fair considering I can't tell hardly anything that's going on in most of the comic from the pictures given. I know they are bad quality images though lol.

I did enjoy clicking through to the archived CA forum thread.

"without a doubt, toth was going overboard with the scorn, but if you get past the curmudgeonly venom, you realize that point by point, he's bang - on.."

curmudgeonly - word of the day.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Yeah, that whole article and the original CA thread are really funny. I think my favorite part is Steve Rude saying at the end, "when I attempted to explain the things I felt him in error about, he let out a few curse words and hung up."

Toth made good points, but some of it is excessive. I think the main point of that kind of harsh critique is to build the other person's character and motivate them to "rise to the occasion". Toth himself was subjected to even more harsh critiques on a regular basis so his brain was probably wired to that stuff.
It's awesome that you're on the hunt for that old comic post. I haven't come across it personally, but the ME or MET artist critiquing it sounds intriguing. Maybe try doing a reverse image search on the image you shared to see if it leads you to any clues.