The Hawks Nest 2.0
My first sketchbook was old and it has been years since I updated it. I want this new sketchbook to serve at my visual journal what I created that day why I did it what inspired me. I work fulltime as a front end developer but art will always be my true passion. I just never had a professional job as an artist unfortunately but I know I am meant to do something in art maybe it is just for me. Maybe I will push an IP one day who knows. All I know is I have ideas and been going through some serious withdrawl lately.

I was hard headed I thought by doing some drawings from books like Loomis and Hampton it will sink in for me. I learned it doesn't work like that. I am taking a new approach where I am exercising my wrist and brain.

So currently as it stands my anatomy needs work and I need to learn to take my time. I have been sculpting heads a lot and I am better at that than the rest of the body as a result. I find myself creating the same things over and over again even but not intentionally. So I am looking to break that. I just bought a physical sketchbook as well which I will do my best to put something down on paper everyday. I have been dabbling in corel painter, researching design, and really trying to just fill in the blanks to make myself a better artist. I am at the point now where I need to work on the gaps and develop my own style. 

I have a lot of images I have created since I have been on this site over the years but I feel to make things fair to myself and this thread that I will ultimately post the here and the now and try to capture the emotion for that day. 

Ok enough babbling from me. Time to post some art. In the meantime here is where I kind of left off in a sense my work on art station is outdated to say the least I have not updated it in a long time.  

https://nufftalon.artstation.com/

Front End Developer by day but an Artist by Night
"Artists help artists"
My Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Youtube Lets Learn 3D
Cool! Art really is a journey. looking forward to seeing your recent stuff.

(10-25-2022, 03:18 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Cool! Art really is a journey. looking forward to seeing your recent stuff.

Thanks. I will try my best haha I need to get through the land of the suck but practice practice here we go.

First up I decided to practice some anatomy drawing from Gottfried Bammes book. I am using my xp pen innovator but the pen is not lined up with my stroke all the way I did the best I could with what I had. I do have a wacom tablet and another xp pen wasn't in the mood to troubleshoot anything.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
Just wanna drop this here i am sure it won't hurt you.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(10-25-2022, 12:18 PM)darktiste Wrote: Just wanna drop this here i am sure it won't hurt you.

Thanks I appreciate the reference. For this particular study it was more about getting familiar with parts of the body in hopes that if I draw enough and practice it will make me better when I sculpt. I will keep this in mind for my next study though for sure.

Here is a few paintings I did on my phone over the summer which I am just now sharing I do a lot of these and usually just keep them on my phone but I should probably use this as reference to do a bigger piece from I always forget. Looking at the candle mage I probably should have given him a ground shadow to make him appear as he's hovering.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
Did this in Corel Painter was just curious what kind of results I would get if I used one brush only Drippy Jellyfish Brush in the Sargent Brushes. I used Alex Ross Iron Man as reference. More of an experiment than a study and some parts could have been darker to make the shapes pop more.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
Cool! I have studied a bit from the Bammes book as well, I like how he simplifies the form of the body it's so helpful. (His drawing style kinda aesthetically ugly tho not gonna lie lol)

With all your paintings, I would definitely suggest more clear and definite shapes of shadow. It just adds so much more structure and character to the thing you're painting. Like the iron man one definitely has potential but it's feeling a little amorphous. Keep it up!

(10-26-2022, 01:55 PM)JosephCow Wrote: Cool! I have studied a bit from the Bammes book as well, I like how he simplifies the form of the body it's so helpful. (His drawing style kinda aesthetically ugly tho not gonna lie lol)

With all your paintings, I would definitely suggest more clear and definite shapes of shadow. It just adds so much more structure and character to the thing you're painting. Like the iron man one definitely has potential but it's feeling a little amorphous. Keep it up!

Yeah I did Bammes just to learn anatomy better but not relying on it for drawing so much.

Thanks I will try that going to do some studies to get more familiar with light and shadow. 
I created this in photoshop been a while since I painted in photoshop and it felt good. Could be a cool concept to sculpt from I did this without reference but I may rework with this looking at ref to make it more believable.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
Try to get the full range of value in your early work this force you to be more mindful to remember value in your work later.By full range i mean 95%grey and 5% light grey you want to avoid the last 5% of each end of the value range in general so it not to dark or to bright.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(10-28-2022, 04:46 AM)darktiste Wrote: Try to get the full range of value in your early work this force you to be more mindful to remember value in your work later.By full range i mean 95%grey and 5% light grey you want to avoid the last 5% of each end of the value range in general so it not to dark or to bright.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I am going to be doing some full range studies. I need to remember to seperate my overall big shapes in contrast with one another to make them pop early on. I typically do 50% gray background when I do concepts and then mess with values for the sketch.

"Artists help artists"
Tonight's practice need to do more of these. Trying to get out of my comfort zone. I learned that the shadow needs to be same color or else it looks like a pop out dropshadow. Soft shadows determine roundness on an object. Not my best work but more to come photoshop feeling weird with my strokes.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
New Sketchbook gotta fire back up my tradish

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
I decided to concept out a Chainsaw Man character trying to make it appear more functional. So far just worked on the head portion.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
Testing out Rebelle

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
looks just like the traditinal painting, I love his styliesed face and highlites on skin, very neat and nice result!

Welcome back! Keep posting so we can share your art journey and watch you develop!

Photo 
I am back I kind of crashed and burned haha. I have been drawing on my sketchbook and I have been still doing 3d and stuff. I wanted to share my latest zbrush sculpt original design I am working on not final, but fun creating.

I need to scan in my sketchbook stuff will try to do that when I have time hope everyone is doing good.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Artists help artists"
Cool looking helmet, great design there! Can't offer much in terms of feedback since I'm allergic to Zbrush, but you seem to have a strong grasp of the program. Keep it up!