hikers on their way (pages: 1,2,3)
Star 
Hello Stupid
My teacher referred me to this forum today Wink . So here's my first post. 
I'm trying to approach this illustration with only one goal - I'm trying to finish it.
Currently I want to master the basics like stones, clouds....properly.
I would be very happy to receive some criticism and feedback.

This sketch shows two hikers on their refreshing and relaxing way through nature. 
The mood should be as fresh as peppermint chewing gum lul. Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

So if you want to master cloud and stone why did you make a scene where your far away from the ground and there is little to no sky? Think about the angle of the camera but also the height of the camera.Use those two thing to situate the action and than think about the format of the frame will it be verticale or horizontal.

Also for feed back i suggest trying to be more specific.Personally right now you seem more into landscape painting than establishing storytelling element.What kind of work are you using as reference?What kind of reference as the element you are looking to improve.Learning to question your intention and the work you produce is important to develop more specific problem to solve.

For example you say the very large goal of learning to draw cloud and stone etc.How are you going to break those thing down from simple to complex... my answers would be i my case making list.You observe the stone let say.What kind of stone.How many stone.How big.Where is that stone.What color is that stone. It very important not to shy away from formulating question.So it important to know the basic of (who, where, what, when, why, how)

The problem isn't to formulate an observation or to pick a subject matter. For me the problem is reducing your option and pick the right answers that fit your intention.

Since this is your first post it hard to compare your work against something so that why i always suggest beginner to add the reference along with there work this way it easier to suggest and compare your work to something rather than comparing the work against the work itself.

My only suggestion would be to add a few bird flying to create a bit of movement and to help establish scale on the right side of the scene.But since your center of attention seem to be the two character it would be a bad idea because of how small they are they would be fighting for attention.So one thing that important is scale if you make the subject matter so small that it get lost in the noise that not necessarly good but good for you here you made enough empty space that it they should still be noticeable.

One thing to consider is the mood you said refreshing and relaxing so how is that achieve by each individual element present in the scene not that every element need to be those two thing but that a sufficiant amount should work to establish that mood there a rule call the 70/30 which is about creating contrast but that bit to complex to explain atm maybe you can ask your teach about that one or you know it.

One thing i would say is the choose of line angular vs flat or ondulated.Angular shape aren't synoymous with relaxing round shape and flat shape are.

But then you say refreshing but that seem to contradict the reality of the terrain which doesn't seem to welcoming or easy to travel throught.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Thumbs Up 
(11-12-2022, 03:59 AM)darktiste Wrote: So if you want to master cloud and stone why did you make a scene where your far away from the ground and there is little to no sky? Think about the angle of the camera but also the height of the camera.Use those two thing to situate the action and than think about the format of the frame will it be verticale or horizontal.

Also for feed back i suggest trying to be more specific.Personally right now you seem more into landscape painting than establishing storytelling element.What kind of work are you using as reference?What kind of reference as the element you are looking to improve.Learning to question your intention and the work you produce is important to develop more specific problem to solve.

For example you say the very large goal of learning to draw cloud and stone etc.How are you going to break those thing down from simple to complex... my answers would be i my case making list.You observe the stone let say.What kind of stone.How many stone.How big.Where is that stone.What color is that stone. It very important not to shy away from formulating question.So it important to know the basic of (who, where, what, when, why, how)

The problem isn't to formulate an observation or to pick a subject matter. For me the problem is reducing your option and pick the right answers that fit your intention.

Since this is your first post it hard to compare your work against something so that why i always suggest beginner to add the reference along with there work this way it easier to suggest and compare your work to something rather than comparing the work against the work itself.

My only suggestion would be to add a few bird flying  to create a bit of movement and to help establish scale on the right side of the scene.But since your center of attention seem to be the two character it would be a bad idea because of how small they are they would be fighting for attention.So one thing that important is scale if you make the subject matter so small that it get lost in the noise that not necessarly good but good for you here you made enough empty space that it they should still be noticeable.

One thing to consider is the mood you said refreshing and relaxing so how is that achieve by each individual element present in the scene not that every element need to be those two thing but that a sufficiant amount should work to establish that mood there a rule call the 70/30 which is about creating contrast but that bit to complex to explain atm maybe you can ask your teach about that one or you know it.

One thing i would say is the choose of line angular vs flat or ondulated.Angular shape aren't synoymous with relaxing round shape and flat shape are.

But then you say refreshing but that seem to contradict the reality of the terrain which doesn't seem to welcoming or easy to travel throught.
Thank you so much for the very detailed feedback.
The tip about formulate questions is very helpful! 

The mood should be based on something like this:

I think the colors and nature itself could be a nice contrast to the more dynamic shapes in the foreground.
I don’t know :)

I've tried to paint mountains in a cool way a few times and would now like to try to use it in my own composition. 
Some studies: 

I am very happy about the feedback and will definitely try to apply it.
Hello :D Your sketch looks nice, lots of personality in the trees and perspective, although it may be a little bit wonky in composition. I like how the left foreground tree kind of cradles the whole picture, but the left side feel a little unresolved to me. As for the mountain studies - love them. The quality of your brush strokes has such nice rhythm, looking forward to seeing it applied when you render the sketch!

I really enjoy your latest landscapes, great color and value work there. Nice brushwork too!

Agree those last 4 landscapes are really good. No critz from me for now but as you'll find you'll get a lot of support and feedback (good and not so good) here.

Keep sharing!

The pages are a lie...

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida