Martijn's book

You have some really beautiful portraits here and studies. Keep up with good work. The only thing that I don't like much is this amount of noise. Maybe try keeping some surfaces smoother .
Have fun :D

CD dA FM  MaL
(04-11-2013, 01:38 AM)Lumens Wrote: I've tried grouping the values more in places of interest.
gotta paint something with a better value range next time.

Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by that? I'm guessing its also what your emphasizing in your latest portraits? I'm envious of all the hot mark making you've been posting :D.

I'm entering a brave new world...called gouache! Th_118_

Tis like water colors but more opaque and matte. you can dry brush with it like acrylics, paint pretty much exactly like aquarelle or thick paint somewhat like oils.

Gouache changes the values when it dries...lights get darker in value, darks get lighter in value,
sounds like fun right?
you cant just blend with this like oils..if you wanna turn an object into space you have to be quite good at mixing your palette. only then can you get subtle passages.

The technique i used is often called ''tiling''

this was my first attempt. palette: cadmium yellow, zinc white..art store didnt have any other whites, ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, cadmium red and neutral black.

done on aquarelle paper.

Awesome 1st timer dude. You will nail this shit in a couple of days!

P.S. Try and get titanium white.
P.P.S. No ctrl+z lol :)

Ici, lol! i had a small heart attack every time i had a really nice brush stroke i painted over.

Morning sketch, used from left over paints i preserved from laying the palette in the fridge.

nice edge control lumens !! Keep up on figure drawing ! and your gouache are nice too, i've been using it for a year, and it's very tough to blend it haha !! Keep it up !

Awesome Kiki, yeah im always fighting the values from darkening haha.

Damn what a sick sketchbook. I love your focus on brushstrokes. It makes your studies so unique!

erg mooi!
I am LOVING the sharpness! Great sketchbook! :)
Holy crap Martijn! That last one is very Rick Berry esque! I love it. Awesome works!

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Mono, Unhek thanks!
Othrandir, Thanks man, still got a long way to go as far as edges are concerned.
Veneq, interesting. how so?

I've had my pc upgraded with an ssd to run photoshop and my os faster.
cs5 works so much faster now.
Also went from 4 to 12 gb ram and changed to 64 bit in order to acually fully use all that memory.
Added a hdd of 2tb.

I'm having performance issues with cs5, keeps crashing on me.
So far i've lowered cache levels from 4 to 2, stills says ''128K cache file size''
also i don't know what drive to use best as scratch disk, photoshop is installed at c drive wich is ssd so it runs real fast. Put my 2TB drive as scratch for now i quess that makes the most sense.

Never mind, switching to cs5 32 bits seems to work fine.

Justin sweet study.

Last studies are looking really good .
I hope you dont have any more troubles with crashing.
Keep up with good work :D

CD dA FM  MaL
Thanks toxic, no more crashes for now. 70bff581

An attempt to apply previous justin sweet study.

...yes thats a baby wild boar. cutest things in the world.

http://i0.wp.com/www.techtandoori.com/wp...05/f29.gif