Crimson CHOW #52 - The Learned Observer FINALS
Crimson Character of the Week #52
THE LEARNED OBSERVER
The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

-+|| Finals Thread ||+-
Deadline is Saturday, June 15th @ UTC: 23:59
(Yeah I got my dates wrong, whoopsie.)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Name: Shellodent (combining "shell" from the turtle, "odont" from the Greek word for tooth referring to the snapping turtle's beak, and "dent" for the squirrel's teeth).

Appearance: Imagine a bizarre yet fascinating mashup of three creatures. The Shellodent has a strong, domed shell like a snapping turtle, but surprisingly lightened due to intricate internal chambers. Extending from the shell is a long, segmented body similar to a millipede, though much thicker and with fewer segments. Each segment is covered in tough, leathery skin and adorned with a row of bristly hairs. A bushy squirrel tail bursts from the rear of the segmented body, providing excellent balance and steering as the Shellodent moves. Up front, a squirrel-like head with large, black eyes and prominent whiskers emerges from the shell. Sharp incisors and rodent-like teeth peek out from its mouth.

Movement: The Shellodent gets around in a surprisingly agile way. It can use its powerful legs, derived from the millipede, to propel itself forward in a sinuous wave-like motion. The strong squirrel tail acts as a counterbalance and rudder, allowing for sharp turns and maneuvers. When threatened, it can retract its head and limbs into its shell for protection.

Diet: Shellodents are omnivores. Their sharp teeth allow them to gnaw on nuts and fruits like a squirrel. They also use their strong limbs to dig for grubs, insects, and worms in the soil. The bristly hairs on their segmented body may help them sense vibrations underground, aiding in locating prey.

Habitat: Shellodents prefer areas with loose soil and some vegetation, where they can burrow and find food. They might be found in forests, grasslands, or even gardens. Their sturdy shells and burrowing ability offer protection from predators.

Attached Files Image(s)

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
Now that the stuff from nightmare i don't need. But that a compliment. Not a fan of the circle re-using part of the same image i prefer additional drawing that give new perspective that dissect but that just me. That just going the extra mile in my book and that what can help you grab first place.

I think those circle break the look of a old illustration it give that presentation a taste of ''digital trick'' since it basically copy pasted. In the same veins for the style personally i prefer the previous one this one is to rendered.

A fun thing is if you would have taken the perspective of an artist in a real world setting to draw those animal they had to capture a specimen or catch glimpse of it and come back and try to translate that onto paper.(No wonder zoology had such weird looking creature before they invented photography)
Also back in time when you took photo you had to wait for the flash which mean photo had a delay so trying to capture something that move into the frame was an other issue.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.
I'm going to go hibernate now.
[Image: emnida-faeus-specimen.jpg?1718417955]

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Really great pieces guys! Nice work all round. Calling this one finished also for now. A fun brief this time it really let the mark making come out to play.

The Starlight Honeysuckers are a breed of mountain sprite that were unfortunate to sprout in the shadows of Hell Mountain where the ground is soaked in blight. Their pods begin to ooze and pulsate as the sprouting time nears. As the scattered field of repulsive pods starts to pop in concert, the air is filled with the putrid stench of infected flesh. Be warned, these little buggers will wake with an unquenchable thirst for fresh meat and will flock to any unknowing traveler foolish enough to stumble into their patch.

Good stuff guys!

Im calling to done for now, it was really challenging and Im personally not done with it but deadline is around the corner. On top I switched to ClipStudioPaint from Photoshop which wasnt as easy as expected.
My take away is to study more composition and particular how to place characters in a scenery.

The piece is about a alchemist who wants to search for the prima materia in the skies.
To reach this goal the alchemist tries to summons a vine with the help of sigils which were extracted
from common plants.

Attached Files Image(s)

I forgot you have to make the Poll first for the Finals thread it can't be added - so I made a Poll here go vote lol:

https://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-9640.html

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

@Darktiste Thank you on your input towards my entry and you make some really great points there. All you mention I will def take into consideration for future put togethers. I was strapped for time on this one, hence the try to paste things over and mix it up to stretch out what I already had, if I had more time for this I would have definitely drawn everything from the circles additionally to create an extra effort push on things. Thanks again though and I hope all is good your way in life.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
@Lege1
I think we can Congratulate you on your Win! Well done keeping with the theme and creating your squeaky-snappy-squirtle-pede. One itty comment would be to reduce the very digital nature of the diagram highlights, and drew on maybe macro details that you couldn't see int he main image, rather than duplicate. Still, A.

@CBinnsIllustration
My favourite part of this is the green slime across the page - that little bit of dimension tickles my fancy. I enjoy the story behind the creature as well - Overall you Nailed this task, and I think you should make more of these.

@TrashPanda
I really enjoy the graphic nature of your linework, and the inverted illustrations towards the bottom are a nice touch, Your story interesting as well. It works well as an illustration - might be flexing a little on this challenge, but I enjoy it!

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

@rottenpocket Thank you so much man, and understood. Sorry on the delay here, I kept checking in on the actual poll page to see what the verdict was. I will fire up the new thread asap. Thank you again guys! All the entries were great and as always, its a pleasure participating here with you all.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001