Mark's Sketchbook and studies
these are some studies from some film screen caps and the bottom one is from a photo of some starlett from the 20's that I've seen done by a few people on the web.
[Image: TOB_mifune2_JPEG.jpg]

[Image: SODcloseup1_JPEG.jpg]

[Image: GirlPOrtrait_FINAL_JPEG.jpg]
I'm not too sure, but is it possible that the eyes of the last one are maybe a bit too big? I have the same problem, I find it hard to make everything fit, especially when I'm drawing from imagination. Mostly the eyes or nose seems off with my paintings but I think you did the nose really great.
I especially like the first painting!

Greetz ...
Yea the eyes are too large. Probably because they seemed that way from the original photo I used as reference.
Lets hear it for over-rendering :( Anyway this is a study from a photo, the model was giving a lot of attitude and I couldn't seem to capture it.

[Image: NduePainting_JPEG.jpg]
A study of part of a Jean-Baptise Greuze painting.

[Image: Jean%2BBaptiste%2BGreuze_JPEG.jpg]

some digital anatomy and rendering practice

[Image: BadHogarth%2B2.jpg]

[Image: BadHogarth-1.jpg]

I usually use Bridgman, but lately have been messing around with Horgarth just for something different.

Total coincidence that Marko mentions Hogarth and I've been looking at him again.
[Image: Dirty-Sketches-brush-test.jpg]

testing some new brush settings, trying to get closer to what I see in my head
[Image: Astronaut_JPEG.jpg]

[Image: TOB_2_JPEG.jpg]
some random stuff

[Image: loose-sketch-1.jpg]

[Image: B-N-B-sketch.jpg]

[Image: random-sketches-doodles.jpg]
Mantis study

[Image: Mantis-3d_JPEG_SML.jpg]
[Image: AfterRichAnderson_JPEG.jpg]

My halfassed attempt at figuring out how Rich Anderson does it. I wonder what it would have looked like if I had used all my ass.
Hey Mark!
Cool studies man, we can see you really enjoy yourself in those!

Have you ever tried reading Loomis books? I think you would like them, they have some very valuable advice. In the resources section here in this forums we have links for the pdfs of his books. Start with the figure drawing for all it's worth or fun with a pencil, they are both amazing!

(08-03-2012, 09:52 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Hey Mark!
Cool studies man, we can see you really enjoy yourself in those!

Have you ever tried reading Loomis books? I think you would like them, they have some very valuable advice. In the resources section here in this forums we have links for the pdfs of his books. Start with the figure drawing for all it's worth or fun with a pencil, they are both amazing!

Thanks, I've had the pdf versions of the Loomis books for a few years.
I'm really loving the mantis study you did. Keep'em coming. Good work!
Nothing to say. You are on the right track. Just dropped in to give you a hug ;)

So, I was going to paint another portrait based on a photo from I think 1907 that I got off Tumblr, then it got weird.

[Image: GlowEyeGirl_SML_JPEG.jpg]
those are some intense eyes :) I think the softness around her face and forehead is a bit much imo. it feels like the background is bledding into her cheek. just my small two cents.. >.<;;

lovely painting regardless. cheers!
[Image: Mummy-2_SML_JPEG.jpg]

Feelings...ugh.

more practice using some different techniques I've never tried before, just seeing where they go. I spent no time on any kind of story for this, so make your own if you want.
[Image: Portrait-1a_SML_JPEG.jpg]
Oooh I really like this one man, you're going in a nice direction :)

(08-13-2012, 02:49 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Oooh I really like this one man, you're going in a nice direction :)