Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
Have not posted in a super long time. I did take advice to heart and tried some of my own digital illustrations. The results were not really very good. One thing I sketched out is this scene, the idea being in a middle ages setting, political situations leave a selfish young ruler on the throne in place of a king. Pretty simple concept. I probably wont finish this as I don't think the execution is great, and the ideas aren't there (that dog is not well drawn, haha). But I'm going to keep working on painting compositions of my invention. 

I've been also working much more on my traditional paintings which I will post later.

Attached Files Image(s)

well you see, the point of doing your own picture, is hitting roadblocks, and you can post here or the critter cave and get people to point out issues so you can fix them in real time and learn from it, instead of making a mistake, rendering the mistake, and never becoming aware of it. I believe that improvement in art is 99% knowing what not to do, because the scope of what we are doing is so limited in the sense of realism. theres only a few things that will work, but an unimaginable things that wont ;)

But for your piece, the colors are interesting, but the pose is really stiff, the leg coming out is weirdly long, and the shoe is enormous. And overall it feels like a study of someone in a costume in a chair. But yea, if you have digital, work with that for this kinda stuff because its flexible. But id reccomend just drawing freehand more with pencil or pen and learning what your style is before doing a full imaginative illustration, oh and getting lots of critiques in your process so you can learn that stuff quicker ;0

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(03-17-2019, 10:54 AM)Fedodika Wrote: well you see, the point of doing your own picture, is hitting roadblocks, and you can post here or the critter cave and get people to point out issues so you can fix them in real time and learn from it, instead of making a mistake, rendering the mistake, and never becoming aware of it. I believe that improvement in art is 99% knowing what not to do, because the scope of what we are doing is so limited in the sense of realism. theres only a few things that will work, but an unimaginable things that wont ;)

But for your piece, the colors are interesting, but the pose is really stiff, the leg coming out is weirdly long, and the shoe is enormous. And overall it feels like a study of someone in a costume in a chair. But yea, if you have digital, work with that for this kinda stuff because its flexible. But id reccomend just drawing freehand more with pencil or pen and learning what your style is before doing a full imaginative illustration, oh and getting lots of critiques in your process so you can learn that stuff quicker ;0

Yeah, you're right. THanks

I don't really post here too often, but maybe I should. I did a little sketch from life today of a cat I sculpted (I know, I should probably stick to painting  Tongue ). I'm trying to work on my solid modeling. I think it looks pretty good, but the form doesn't look as solid and smooth as I was wanting.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nothing wrong with sculpting or trying other creative stuff! It all comes together in making us better draftsmen in the end! :)

The last study looks quite good! I would suggest that you actually do life studies daily for a while. It doesnt have to be complex subjects either. A fruit on a piece of fabric or similar is plenty enough when it comes to doing them daily. Also make sure that you really analyze how the materials react, and set up diffirent kinds of lighting schemes if you can (Main Lights, Fill lights, diffirent kinds of colored lights etc).

nice edgies ;)

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Another one

Attached Files Image(s)

very droolworthy ;)

(01-15-2020, 01:06 AM)Fedodika Wrote: very droolworthy ;)
Thanks!

Cool sketchbook! Your observational work is very good and painterly. That's the sort of look I admire and go for when do them myself despite being nowhere near this level haha. I One thing that could help ease you into more imaginative/inventive drawing would be to make a "study" of something (photo, still life, whatever) and slowly introduce your own elements and/or props into the scene. For me, I occasionally enjoy finding images of people on pinterest and changing their clothing either subtly of drastically. I encourage to find the most fun way for you to tackle the exercise if you give it a shot!
I am curious to see what progress you might've made since your last update also :)

Hey spec, thanks for stopping by. You got me to update this thing, which for some reason I never think to do. I do a decent amount of studying, but then I guess I kind of think nothing is really worth sharing. Here's a few that I've done most recently. Right now I'm focusing on modeling form, to give my drawing the appearance of relief, but I also found that I really need to work on construction. My conception of form and ability to draw objects and rotate them using my imagination, is really really weak, and even though I'm on the fine art route, I really need to figure it out. 

That exercise sounds like a decent idea, although I'm sure whatever i insert into a scene is going to be really obviously worse quality than the stuff around it lol. But sure, might as well give it a shot. For me the hardest part about illustration is building a scene/environment that makes sense.

With the pencil drawing of a bust with the helmet, I also try to break parts of it down and rotate it a little. I struggle, but it's okay. At least I think the modeling has gotten a lot more advanced.

It reminds me of a drawing i did in college that I thought was pretty hot, but actually is kind of not. It's mostly just a copy of shadow shapes, without regard for form. The shading has the right idea, but doesn't clearly describe any form.

Attached Files Image(s)

your vibe kinda reminds me of like sam carr and miles johnstones early stuff, pretty cool and collected atelier drawings, im likin it alot :)

(04-22-2020, 11:02 PM)Fedodika Wrote: your vibe kinda reminds me of like sam carr and miles johnstones early stuff, pretty cool and collected atelier drawings, im likin it alot :)
 I mean, I'd settle for being like them. Thanks man!

Really nice pencil drawings; very smooth and clean shading. The modeling feels very solid.

Regarding drawing from imagination: One tactic I found helpful is to practice drawing photos from memory, i.e. draw the same photo from memory repeatedly until you've achieved a decent likeness. I think screwing up repeatedly causes the information to get "baked in" more effectively. Apart from that, there's not much to do but try to develop as good of an understanding of the subject as possible, so you can put all of the humps and furrows in approximately the right location.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!
Thanks, Public Enemy!

I did this illustration of the Creature from Frankenstein recoiling at his reflection for April's proko challenge. (in reference to a specific passage from the book) It was really fun. It has some flaws but I learned a lot from it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Flawed it may be, but I like it. I like the brushwork; the strokes are loose but purposeful. The somewhat impressionistic style makes it look like a scene from a half-remembered nightmare. I also like that you left the creature's face mostly hidden; sometimes things like that are best left to the imagination. It's a very effective piece to my eyeballs.

Keep posting!
The fundamentals of the piece are really quite nice! Very good use of brush strokes and color, but I feel like its lacking in the story telling. Can we make it more clear that he is actually sewn together from diffirent bodies? Maybe use a slight shift in hue in the diffirent parts as well as make the scars more prominent.

Here is a quick overpaint I did. I brought the colors more towards muted greens to enhance the sickly/dead mood that I associate with frankenstein. I also added a bit more athmospheric perspective and darkened the edges to bring focus more towards the figure. Hope it helps a bit! 

[Image: tumblr_inline_okma3isGT81td5qxv_540.png]

See this chart? i think your pose is only about halfway to how powerful it could be. I'll leave some examples of theater, put yourself as an actor, how terrified could you look at your shadow? engage the full body, recoiled isnt often done on the knees like that.

[Image: image.jpg]
[Image: dan_hoy_as_munkustrap_and_the_north_amer...h_2019.jpg]

See how pushed every one of their poses are... what would a character in this play for instance do to show the story  your pose?

really theatrical plays often play off of an ancient expression and push it to its limits. All the old painters did this as well, you'll see that in ancient paintings of battles how over the top the action is, right at that sweet moment. basically most of modern dance, at any still frame pushes a certain stance to its limit; they all show some sort of subtle emotion, cockiness, fear, arrogance, etc. Its more a headspace to get in than any exercise. 

If i were to redraw this pose, i'd use a more reclined pose. sadly, most life drawing poses are designed for more comfort of the model, as opposed to telling an intense story.. Sorry if im just rambling, i hope this is insightful :)

"What would the craziest most talented actor do to show this emotion?" ask yourself for each scribble, push it that far, then dial it back to what your most comfortable with in your style and self expression :)

(05-11-2020, 05:44 AM)Fedodika Wrote: "What would the craziest most talented actor do to show this emotion?" ask yourself for each scribble, push it that far, then dial it back to what your most comfortable with in your style and self expression :)

Great advice! Though I probably wont look to Cats the musical for examples, it's not my favorite.

Hey JosephCow, nice job on your Proko contest win. Really like how you made the painting feel really old and suspicious, worked well with the Frankenstein passage <3.