Seeking Critique on Value Study
Hey! 

I'm seeking some guidance on this value study. I think one of the main issues I'm having with it is how there isn't a wide value range in his face, it's mostly on the darker side. I'm pretty new to digital art still, so I'm still getting used to how the brush strokes, but I still think I used to many brush strokes. Is there anything I can do to help improve that other than consciously using less strokes? Also if anyone has any general tips to help me improve that would greatly be appreciated!

Attached Files Image(s)

This not an advise but good on you for already wanting to apply concept such as brush economy.

Now here my advise.

My advise is don't seek advise for the sake of seeking advise try to ask question that get you near what you have in mind it nice to ask direction when your lost but it shouldn't be a habit you gotta make your own path at one point.But it doesn't mean not being all hear for good advise your simply have to learn to filter the good from the bad.Of course it hard to ask for people to limit there critism to certain thing but i think if you try to ask for advise on specific thing you struggle with it better you will get answers that are more relevant to what you trying to solver rather than trying to be ''lucky''

My second advise is make a sketchbook thread or else people have no clue about your direction at all also go and write and introduction to let us know more about who you are you can really put your direction if you have one there to make it clear.Artist who want to improve understand the importance of not working alone the faster you can get feedback the faster you can adapt your work approch.

Sometime it not the work we need to critic it the approch.I think it good to do something in orderly fashion as to not confuse people.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(08-03-2020, 01:15 PM)yaketymac Wrote: Hey! 

I'm seeking some guidance on this value study. I think one of the main issues I'm having with it is how there isn't a wide value range in his face, it's mostly on the darker side. I'm pretty new to digital art still, so I'm still getting used to how the brush strokes, but I still think I used to many brush strokes. Is there anything I can do to help improve that other than consciously using less strokes? Also if anyone has any general tips to help me improve that would greatly be appreciated!

hey, so its not a terrible value study
might be useful to paint smaller at first, when you look at the whole image backed up you will have an easier time getting the general read of the values.
when your eyes focus in on parts of the face while youre a bit closer, your eyes adjust to the immediate range in that small area, allowing you to discern more value shifts there but may throw off the overall.
you want to keep in mind the overall value balance as you go in for more details

i recommend you do a few studies that you never get so zoomed in on. maybe keep the drawing size about the size of the palm of your hand and the reference likewise 

next pay more attention to structure, the light is describing the forms
some areas are getting overly smoothed and worked
again zoom out on the ref and the painting and check how the forms are reading at a distance

Stroke wise, theyre following the light shapes rather than describing the face forms
I did a little pant over just of the chin area to maybe help show how you could progress it

hope it helps, if you have further questions, go for it

[Image: de2juuy-d6331bc4-9bce-4863-a929-cb50f292...VGMov_GOTk]
[Image: po_yak_by_andrew_gibbons_de2juv3-pre.jpg...U-DJ65NWM0]

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(08-03-2020, 05:43 PM)xelfereht Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:15 PM)yaketymac Wrote: Hey! 

hey, so its not a terrible value study
might be useful to paint smaller at first, when you look at the whole image backed up you will have an easier time getting the general read of the values.
when your eyes focus in on parts of the face while youre a bit closer, your eyes adjust to the immediate range in that small area, allowing you to discern more value shifts there but may throw off the overall.
you want to keep in mind the overall value balance as you go in for more details

i recommend you do a few studies that you never get so zoomed in on. maybe keep the drawing size about the size of the palm of your hand and the reference likewise 

next pay more attention to structure, the light is describing the forms
some areas are getting overly smoothed and worked
again zoom out on the ref and the painting and check how the forms are reading at a distance

Stroke wise, theyre following the light shapes rather than describing the face forms
I did a little pant over just of the chin area to maybe help show how you could progress it

hope it helps, if you have further questions, go for it
It means a lot to have someone look over my work like you did! I'll keep that in mind for any studies I do in the future. Im self taught, so I'm picking up what I can from other artists and learning the fundamentals. As for your specific advise, I can absolutely see what you were talking about now staying zoomed out and leave any zooming for detail work. The paint over you did makes a lot more sense to me as well. I want to practice, but not for just the sake of practicing if that makes sense? Practice with a specific intent, so like I said this will help a lot. Thank you again!
(08-03-2020, 02:25 PM)darktiste Wrote: This not an advise but good on you for already wanting to apply concept such as brush economy.

Now here my advise.

My advise is don't seek advise for the sake of seeking advise try to ask question that get you near what you have in mind it nice to ask direction when your lost but it shouldn't be a habit you gotta make your own path at one point.But it doesn't mean not being all hear for good advise your simply have to learn to filter the good from the bad.Of course it hard to ask for people to limit there critism to certain thing but i think if you try to ask for advise on specific thing you struggle with it better you will get answers that are more relevant to what you trying to solver rather than trying to be ''lucky''

My second advise is make a sketchbook thread or else people have no clue about your direction at all also go and write and introduction to let us know more about who you are you can really put your direction if you have one there to make it clear.Artist who want to improve understand the importance of not working alone the faster you can get feedback the faster you can adapt your work approch.

Sometime it not the work we need to critic it the approch.I think it good to do something in orderly fashion as to not confuse people.
I didnt realize there was a section you could enter stuff like that. Im very new to forums and how they work so please excuse that ignorance haha. I think I follow what you are saying, rather than asking someone how to do it, problem solve it myself while also seeking guidance on that path? Direction wise I still have no idea where I want to go with my art haha Im kinda focusing on the fundamentals at the moment and seeing where I can branch off. I found some other advise of making a portfolio for myself out of art and artists I admire and that could help.
Your'e welcome!
Thumbs_up

I'm also self taught or internet/book taught you could say
developing your idea of what your'e working for is one of the skills you should probably build consciously at the same time.

keep going, holla if you need some help

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(08-07-2020, 04:10 AM)xelfereht Wrote: Your'e welcome!
Thumbs_up

I'm also self taught or internet/book taught you could say
developing your idea of what your'e working for is one of the skills you should probably build consciously at the same time.

keep going, holla if you need some help
I definitely will! It's definitely motivating hearing about other people that have similar experiences to my current one. If I come across anything Ill def shoot you a message!