Whats up :)
Hey guys,

I thought it might be interesting to join this community, as I just started to build up a portfolio exactly ten days ago.

Actually I hate talking about myself, but still, here we go, this is an introduction after all. :)

I'm 27 yrs old, born in New York, raised in Germany, living in Munich, worked in filmproduction as an editor and now heading more and more into Creative Direction and that stuff.

Besides all of that, I never lost my love for drawing and painting, I mean after all, drawing was basically the first thing I was kinda good at as a kid and teenager, endlessly drawing comics and characters only a few of my closest friends got to see in the end, because I always ended up hating my own work.

So why not get this all started again and maybe see where this might go, even though I noticed I'm still my toughest critique. :)

I then started training in digital painting, which was completely new, doing some personal and quick character concepts and concept art stuff. Basically I kept training and studying day and night, while working on other projects at work.

So, now I'm not only here to share my progress, but maybe even to discuss some ideas and inspirations and get to know one or two of you guys. :)

Cheers, Max

Attached Files Image(s)

-------------------------------------------------------

SKETCHBOOK // INSTAGRAM // WEBSITE

"Losing all hope was freedom."
hey Max, welcome here
i think most of the activity here is in peoples scketchbooks so feel free to start one up, can chuck a link in your signature area for easy access.

got some nice images here,

maybe have a bit of a strong tendency to black and whites where some colour would reduce some of the muddy value look.
brush strokes sculpting over the forms as opposed to painting in the direction of the shapes of light and shadow will also sell the 3d nature of the forms too

good luck and have fun improving man, power to you

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
(11-28-2020, 08:10 PM)xelfereht Wrote: hey Max, welcome here
i think most of the activity here is in peoples scketchbooks so feel free to start one up, can chuck a link in your signature area for easy access.

got some nice images here,

maybe have a bit of a strong tendency to black and whites where some colour would reduce some of the muddy value look.
brush strokes sculpting over the forms as opposed to painting in the direction of the shapes of light and shadow will also sell the 3d nature of the forms too

good luck and have fun improving man, power to you
Nice to hear from you!

Thanks for the welcoming and the good feedback.
I noticed myself that I tend to overrender my pieces in the end, and that the actual sweetspot is somewhere 30 minutes before I export them.
That's a thing I noticed myself, going full black and full white in some areas.
Tried to correct myself with the upper image (The synth guy with the long hair), going dark red in the shadowy parts of face where I usually would go full on black.

Really nice to get good feedback so fast, thank you :)

I'll keep my sketchbook updated, thanks for the hint.

Cheers man!

Max

I think if those are portfolio piece they seem to share the same energy and the posing is also very similar.Aslong as you make it clear what your intention are with the portfolio meaning you make sure your portfolio is targeted for the position you want you should be heading toward the right direction.Since we don"t have other work to compare against the first impression is probably similar to what i said.So definitively open up a sketchbook so we might be able to have something to compare your best work(portfolio piece) against your study and personal piece.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Welcome to Crimson Daggers Max!

Nice paintings - they have character and attitude - I like them :).

Looking forward to seeing your art journey and swapping chit chat with you ).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(11-29-2020, 05:13 AM)darktiste Wrote: I think if those are portfolio piece they seem to share the same energy and the posing is also very similar.Aslong as you make it clear what your intention are with the portfolio meaning you make sure your portfolio is targeted for the position you want you should be heading toward the right direction.Since we don"t have other work to compare against the first impression is probably similar to what i said.So definitively open up a sketchbook so we might be able to have something to compare your best work(portfolio piece) against your study and personal piece.
Thank you :)
I think portfolio piece was the wrong word I used, now that I look at my post a few days later
These are basically my first full pieces I ended up doing after lots of practice. Calling it a full porfolio piece might be too early.
So I'm still in the middle of trying out character poses, scenery and so on. I'll keep my weekly work up on the sketchbook page!

Thanks for the reply :)

Cheers, Max

(11-29-2020, 07:35 AM)Artloader Wrote: Welcome to Crimson Daggers Max!

Nice paintings - they have character and attitude - I like them :).

Looking forward to seeing your art journey and swapping chit chat with you ).
Thanks! Looking forward to being part of this community!