Bookend's Sketchbook
Next panel of Alice. Not sure about purgatory. Maybe pathways. I'd simply call it Alice if I could. ?

Dialogue is a bit messy and haven't cleaned it up yet, so:

1:"Madame Caterpillar, stop eating the mushrooms, and tell me where Alice is!"
2:"Just wait, Hatter."
3: "And look who's talking, tiny!"
4:"Quiet, Dormouse."

I might take out the last line, since it seems kinda redundant and lame, but I dunno.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
I've been sketching and painting and doing a bunch of things.  But, here's something for Alice finally.  Call it an artist's block, but I couldn't continue until I had my ideas fully formed.

The Jabberwocky...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Hey guys :)

So, just started school, really excited. All of my professors except for the program coordinator works in game studios. One is an environment lead for Ubisoft, and another is an indie game developer that has a pretty wicked pinball RPG out on Steam. xD

All in all, it's exciting to be in classes and have your professors talking about video games, and be surrounded by people just like you!

I'm definitely going to have more of an opportunity to post up my work here, which is great, so expect great things by the end of the week! woo!

Sketchblag

Awesome to see you back Bookend and congrats on getting into that school, sounds fun!.

Triggerpigking!  Yay!  Good to see you're still kicking about. :D  It is fun!  I am humbled and amazed.

Here's some homework I worked on today in my brand spankin' new moleskine sketchybook.  I splurged a bit for the sketchybook, but I feel it was well worth the results.  It doesn't smudge easy, and it takes lines super nicely.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Things I've been working on in school and enjoying attached.

I sent them to one of my instructors-- He's done comics for Marvel, super cool! Anywho, he says I need to work on depth of field, as well as atmospheric perspective. Anyone have tips on how to tackle this, and/or books, and/or sites? Drop them my way!

As always, cut me apart-- Crits are always loved.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Hi, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! :)

Love those environments in your last post!
I have to agree about the lack of distance, the two main issues I see being value contrast (which should be reduced in the distance) and level of detail (which is practically the same everywhere in the image).

Scott Robertson has a great youtube turorial on atmospheric perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayjbpopn5EI

Olooriel:  Hey, thanks! :)  Yeah-- gotta love Scott Robertson! Thanks, I'll check it out for sure. <3

----

So, school has been chaos, and not quite what I expected.  I hoped for structure, but.. Oh well.  Apparently that's what it's like in the game industry, too-- Nobody really knows what they're doing.  It's kinda funny.

It's been good for me, but much of that goodness is through negative struggles.  It's okay-- I'll be done at the end of December.

I think that I greatly underestimated my ability to learn the software and master the skills alone.  Now I'm in school, and there is a cost.  I'm happy to live in Canada, where the cost is buffered somewhat, but it is still a cost that will cling awhile.  I've learned a lot though, and gained valuable friendships and connections.  

I've also found profound insights into what it really means to make original work, and have shed a lot of my old assumptions about 'stealing'. 

I am still most interested in concept art.  It surprised me a bit.  I was expecting that I would find these new potentialities to be of interest, and maybe even easier to get into, but they aren't as high on my job seeking list.  Any job in the game industry right now still seems like a distant dream, somehow, though, and I feel like I shouldn't be picky-- It seems like something extremely difficult to get. 

If it actually happens, I have no idea what I will do.  I shake a little, just thinking of going to an interview, getting a job.. An actual job in an actual studio...  The dream...  I guess there is a lot personally riding on this.  I want to get my confidence back, I want to feel like I can succeed with my skills, doing something I've always wanted to do.  Just to know what it will be like-- Will I even really enjoy it? Will it be bearable?  I hope that I can achieve it-- Just to get to that milestone...

Anyway..  There's been a lot on my mind lately, but I think I'm drifting back to what's important.

I've finished my first commission... :P  A Dungeons and Dragons character for my boyfriend.  That's the spider-like dude below.

And also, I've been cleaning up the Alice comic..  I am also very pleased with the new and awesome Huion Inspiroy tablet with the battery-free pen, and recommend it to everybody, except people who are left-handed, because I think it looks like it would be difficult to use left-handed.

Anyway, enough of my boring banter, here you go:

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

So I've started a schedule for myself, like Rapoza used to post about back in the day...  So far so good!  It seems to be a good way to stay on track.

I am really learning about how I improve, and there have been some hard lessons in this process.

But, enough of that glum!  Here is some stuff I've done this semester!

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Wooo, I'm cringing a bit at some of my last posts, but it's good to see I've improved, and also that for some of it I was doing a lot better than I thought! :D

I also wish that I adequately responded to a really good constructive critique, because they were right, but anyywaayy...

Since I went to school, I've been up to all sorts of things, but at the moment, working in fast food.. Working to change that :)  And doing some online courses to help work on my portfolio :)

But, happy to say I've worked at an art school, I did some commissions, and I even worked under the table to help create labels at a brewing company. :P  So I have some experience under my belt, but I've decided I still wanna get my skills up to snuff and work on concept art.

I know getting out here and helping other people, as well as posting my own works, has been one of the best ways for me to work on my stuff, so..  I'm back! :D  Again! :D

Biiig art dump of some stuff I've done. :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

Doing some concept art courses on udemy xD  Staying a little dangerously close to source material so will probably branch out for the next ones :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

This look like the way Hardy Fowler do skin texture i would put my money on that.If it wasn't from you being so sucessful at imitating it i wouldn't be so sure of my self.So was i right?

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(05-31-2023, 04:03 AM)darktiste Wrote: This look like the way Hardy Fowler do skin texture i would put my money on that.If it wasn't from you being so sucessful at imitating it i wouldn't be so sure of my self.So was i right?

Oh, definitely-- Like I said, it's pretty close to the source material, though I plan to deviate more in the other lessons. I figured it looked obvious enough though haha. :)

Sketchblag

I can only say good thing about Hardy fowler all is video serie are pretty complete course so soak it all in.But it more about applying applying applying.That also what good with is course because he make so that you actually do project copy study of is demo...

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Smile 
(05-31-2023, 05:25 AM)darktiste Wrote: I can only say good thing about Hardy fowler all is video serie are pretty complete course so soak it all in.But it more about applying applying applying.That also what good with is course because he make so that you actually do project copy study of is demo...

Thank you :)  These are all good points! I chose him specifically to help me start focusing in the right direction.

I think most of what you learn is about applying-- I'm a good copier, but I'd like to be a better applier.  To apply to one's own work, of course, and making it your own. 

I've learned a lot by looking at the comment section in his course and seeing what other people have done with the same material-- Lots and lots of applying!

Will I apply it well?  That remains to be seen  Smirk  But, I'll do my best!  Sun

I think I'll start by trying the first lesson again with my own spin :D

Sketchblag

Nice updates here! Your skin tones on your latest study are simply brilliant, very convincing!

I was gonna say I haven't been doing much art lately, but that would be a lie.  

I've been doing some pixel art :)  Specifically a splash animation ( 'Lil Thulu is there for reference)

I also drew some figures from photos from sketchdaily or something like that tonight, just for fun.

I really want to get more in the habit, but Baldur's Gate 3 has taken my soul.  For now. :)  I think I will find time, though. <3  Hopefully for more than a few months this time :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchblag

In love You gotta revisit this, or is it a study?
[Image: darlene-ost-stagnantgrowth.jpg]

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(08-27-2023, 12:25 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: In love You gotta revisit this, or is it a study?
[Image: darlene-ost-stagnantgrowth.jpg]

Ooh, it's been awhile, but that's a good idea. I really enjoyed what I was finding, and it would be a good feeling to complete it :)

Sketchblag