Darktiste Sketchbook
Ok here's a PO. I feel like it would be a little more like this. There's really just the one face on the metal that's getting the specular highlight. And then the rest are reflecting the environment so they are relatively dark. If a plane doesn't face the light, it can't be lit up. At this angle it would make sense to see a reflection of the rest on the top of it as well, which definitely makes it seems shinier in my opinion.

There's not really any reason the highlights on the glass would be very soft at all unless the light source was just super soft itself. It's a hard polished surface so unless it's dusty there's not really anything to diffuse the highlight. The cast shadows you have also make it look matte because that's kind of a defining feature of matte objects.  Metal and glass can have cast shadows because they might have dust or roughness to them, no surface is perfectly smooth. but you have to understand that the reason we see cast shadows is because objects are rough. It's all the tiny faces on them scattering the light across the surface except where it doesn't reach. The more polished something is, the less faces there are to scatter light. You can't really cast a shadow on a mirror, for example.

Hopefully that makes sense, you don't need a texture brush or anything, just look at how objects look and apply and stylize what you see.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-18-2023, 07:48 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Ok here's a PO. I feel like it would be a little more like this. There's really just the one face on the metal that's getting the specular highlight. And then the rest are reflecting the environment so they are relatively dark. If a plane doesn't face the light, it can't be lit up. At this angle it would make sense to see a reflection of the rest on the top of it as well, which definitely makes it seems shinier in my opinion.

There's not really any reason the highlights on the glass would be very soft at all unless the light source was just super soft itself. It's a hard polished surface so unless it's dusty there's not really anything to diffuse the highlight. The cast shadows you have also make it look matte because that's kind of a defining feature of matte objects.  Metal and glass can have cast shadows because they might have dust or roughness to them, no surface is perfectly smooth. but you have to understand that the reason we see cast shadows is because objects are rough. It's all the tiny faces on them scattering the light across the surface except where it doesn't reach. The more polished something is, the less faces there are to scatter light. You can't really cast a shadow on a mirror, for example.

Hopefully that makes sense, you don't need a texture brush or anything, just look at how objects look and apply and stylize what you see.

Thank for the Pov i think the only thing is that for me we don't seem to agree as to how near and how strong the light is.One thing is sure i used blender to cast the shadow so it not an error in the cast shadow but certainly the quality of that shadow is to be redone to account for the reflectivity something i don't think i had ever until now made aware of and i see why it would make thing look more matte then it is so thank for that for sure.

In my mind  i had the light source much closer then it might be in my blender file so i will try to see if i got the file to perhaps test with a metallic texture and perhaps give you more context but the test if it can be done will surely probably solve the need for any further Pov.

What i want to note in the pov that seem odd is that the metallic bottom part of the frame is clearly in the light in my work file and the cast shadow on the frame casting on the bottom frame mean that the bottom frame would be in light. Where we can see we interperet the light differently is specially evident in the rotating cylinder of the middle piece but that fixable just mentioning it in case you have something to say regarding that.

In mine you can see that my metal is of a less shiny nature but you wouldn't know that so it ok if you made it the way you think it was suppose to be.It so that the gold and bottom plate can pop out even more.

If i had to guess where and how strong my light is it would be like 3 to 5 meter away but it a pretty strong light(this will be comfirm if i can get my hand on the blender file)

What i had in mind and observed is that mine as more of a spot type light it suppose to be on the left side as shown by the cast shadow and that why the highlight is so strong and can actually hit multiple side of the object on the base which would not happen if the light source was far away if i am not highly mistaken.

I will put this painting on stand by and run my blender test and try to work on something else just in case you have other thing to add.

I think the lighting problem steam also from this being one of the first piece where i am so disconnected as to where my light is and just a general ''i am over it kinda attitude toward the piece'' for a while during the making of it it did not strike me as fun and it was certainly more challenging but you know it doesn't fly with me that i have attitude like that toward my own work it just the result of ''abandoning a piece for so long'' and not getting the result i want so yeah i enjoy the frustration this one bring i think it important to bring new height to my work.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Short story is that i am will no longer be working on the hour glass project because it not good for my sanity i tried thing but this is where thing fail is when you rely to much on program to get result and can't seem to make the program work i am biting more then i can chew here but i am still glad to see that i can avoid this if i am more structured in the future.

Impatience really been sabotaging my effort lately and it got only worst as time pass.

My Sketchbook
Yeah I definitely interpreted it a bit differently. You mentioned the gold was supposed to be 'new' metal I thought. So if it's supposed to be something else then that's fine. I also made the light pretty low because I wanted the rim of the base to catch the highlight. But my goal is just to make it look reflective, it's not the ONLY way it could look or anything. If the metal is supposed to be rough like in that picture then you're right it would have a cast shadow and more spread out light. However, I don't necessarily think that material info is reading. I feel like the black background actually makes a lot of reflective materials a struggle to be honest. If you wanted to share your blender render that would be interesting and might clear up those things.

I relate to being just over certain projects. So if you just want to move on to the next that's cool, I don't think anyone is like insisting that you keep working on it. Idk how much time you've put into it, but hopefully my critique isn't discouraging.

(11-24-2023, 11:35 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Yeah I definitely interpreted it a bit differently. You mentioned the gold was supposed to be 'new' metal  I thought. So if it's supposed to be something else then that's fine. I also made the light pretty low because I wanted the rim of the base to catch the highlight. But my goal is just to make it look reflective, it's not the ONLY way it could look or anything. If the metal is supposed to be rough like in that picture then you're right it would have a cast shadow and more spread out light. However, I don't necessarily think that material info is reading. I feel like the black background actually makes a lot of reflective materials a struggle to be honest.  If you wanted to share your blender render that would be interesting and might clear up those things.

I relate to being just over certain projects. So if you just want to move on to the next that's cool, I don't think anyone is like insisting that you keep working on it. Idk how much time you've put into it, but hopefully my critique isn't discouraging.
It all good now every project as to be perfect.There thing to get out of this project for sure.I been wanting to move on from the project before the comment anyways as i found the subject matter to be to basic and uninspired...

My Sketchbook
It's fine to move on from an illustration that's not working, sometimes the frustration is simply not worth it. Looking forward to what you cook up with next!

Just wanted to show the armor i was working on.I feel like the motif of the shoulder and the pectoral plate have an inconsistent style to them even if they are symbolically similar.

I also wanted opinion as far as if you feel this armor look oriental or not.

I feel like i don't want the color palette to be the only element that carry the theme of it being oriental.But i think the that the motif is helping.I am not sure the shape in the armor carry that intention.

Right now the armor need a bit of more detailing (aging) the belt as some inconsistency in how it look toward the top and there tangente i wanna fix to.The collar need more decorative motif.I am also debating if i should add some motif the element under the belt or if i should keep it as it is to rest the eye.

Anyways i hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
It doesn't particularly scream East Asian if it's just the shapes and forms. East Asian culture tend to have some typical symbols they like to use, such as tiger, dragon, clouds, etc. There are also some common ways to layer the clothing and then add armor on top. I would research Chinese, Korean, and Japanese historical dramas, video games with historical themes (for example, Romance of the Three Kingdoms), and also East Asian concept art from artists that work on those types of properties (there are a ton of Chinese ones on Artstation, for example, and they do a lot of Asian fantasy designs).
Just realize i have half a million view on my sketchbook that a long way since my beginning thank you to all who visited and commented.

Note a side i am feel like i am pretty much done with this project here. 

So this my orcish acid flask project .They use acid because some tribe of orc are alot less keen to wearing armor they prefer the protection of there god gork and mork which mean they hate armor which make them very vulnerable to acid attack when there god favor doesn't favor them.Orc are always fighting each other so they have crafted some very unique weapon to counter certain clan.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
So i am updating the infernal Throwing axe

I wanted to try something visually vibrant hopefully i achieve that

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know what the context is for this project you're working on. Is it a personal project? For what medium? What's the end goal for these designs?
(12-10-2023, 05:54 AM)Lunatique Wrote: I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know what the context is for this project you're working on. Is it a personal project? For what medium? What's the end goal for these designs?
It a personal project.Also i am going to get back to the oriental armor soon it just a more recent project so i still have to get my older project out of the way. This axe project being one of them...

The goal where not very clearly define on this one it had to be an axe that for sure so it mostly base on the name that was generated at the start of the project.Infernal throwing axe was really the brief.

I wanted something that feel out of the ordinary something that feel dangerous hot and foreign to the surface world not necessarly evil but certainly not welcoming.

So i took inpiration from lava aswell as what happen to that lava when it cooldown.I wanted a dark metal to bring up the fact the weapon would self illuminate where the lava and the metal is very hot.That dark metal would also look more solid and angular like it support the more flowing part of the design.

I made the metal part red hot like they come straight out the forge i feel the only thing that might be missing is maybe a bit of spark flame and smoke.

The bottom part is a furnace where a elemental fragment is trap that where the weapon get it infernal temperature.

When i said i want something vibrante i meant to make sure the contrast between the color of the BG and the object almost created a visual ''high''

My Sketchbook
My reason for asking for the intended medium and end goal for the project, is because different targeted mediums have different requirements. This is relevant for both professional work and personal work. For example, if the medium is 3D animation rendered with relatively convincing fidelity in materials, then the concept art will usually need to depict the materials with a higher level of fidelity. If it's for a comic book with line art and simple gradients (typical American superhero comics), then the concept would usually reflect that look. If the project is just a general story idea or basic worldbuilding premise without any targeted mediums, then I guess none of that applies.
I really enjoy the armor design, very clean and detailed, while maintaining a rich design. I think it reads very well, so try to not to lose that if you decide detailing it further as it might become overcluttered. Really enjoy the toxic bottle, has a rich 3dimensional look while maintaining a stylistic feel as well. Great color choices for the axe as well. I think you can incorporate a bit of a glow on the warmer areas to make it pop out more and play out the fantasy feel a bit further. Keep up the great work!

(12-17-2023, 04:51 PM)cgmythology Wrote: I really enjoy the armor design, very clean and detailed, while maintaining a rich design.  I think it reads very well, so try to not to lose that if you decide detailing it further as it might become overcluttered.  Really enjoy the toxic bottle, has a rich 3dimensional look while maintaining a stylistic feel as well.  Great color choices for the axe as well.  I think you can incorporate a bit of a glow on the warmer areas to make it pop out more and play out the fantasy feel a bit further.  Keep up the great work!

I will try to keep this in mind sadly i am currently facing one of the worst art crisis in my art journey my computer as some issue such as that it stuck on a repairing loop that prevent me from login on my account and it seem some of my file might have been corrupted and this project might be one of the casuality i am in the process of finding a solution that could either salvage my data or fix this nasty booting issue.

My Sketchbook
Darktiste man! I know that long ago I promised I would draw a battle scene with your angel once you have the design completed, but I got sunk into comic making and lost touch with a large swathe of reality. From now on though, I'll try to devote part of my time to other art forms, but can you please point me to what the final designs of both the angel and the weapon are?

Also I hope you do have a backup of all your data. If not, make sure to always have one in the future.

(12-26-2023, 11:02 AM)Leo Ki Wrote: Darktiste man! I know that long ago I promised I would draw a battle scene with your angel once you have the design completed, but I got sunk into comic making and lost touch with a large swathe of reality. From now on though, I'll try to devote part of my time to other art forms, but can you please point me to what the final designs of both the angel and the weapon are?

Also I hope you do have a backup of all your data. If not, make sure to always have one in the future.

It only a matter of time if it destiny.

My Sketchbook
Very nice sketchbook here and great character armor and weapon designs. Keep up the good work here! It was great going through the sketch book here because I almost forgot this part of the site existed and it brings me back to the concepart.org days. Very nice and I might have to start a sketchbook on here as well. I will be keeping my eyes open for your adds and updates.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
Hey dude - loving the world building going on in here - keep it going :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Sorry to hear about your cpu problems, hopefully you get it sorted it out and recover your files. It would really suck if you lost your work :(