Steering Hard
Hey Blades,

I am in process of steering my career back on the right track and I hope this year to finally start my freelance artist career.
My wife has already jumped to the freelance world as a graphic designer and I help her from time to time as a motion designer  ( my current full  time profession).

However I really want to be an artist, even if it is part time motion graphics and part time illustration / concept art.
So I started 6 month ago to rework my portfolio, take on-line classes, draw everyday (almost).

The problem is I am not even sure how I want to specialize, I love too many things.

For now I am working on fantasy and science fiction stuff, I guess more illustration than concept design, and I want to stay quite not realistic. Also I am totally focused  on environment, so much that I am a bit scared to work with characters that are not totally cartoon and very stylised. 
But I want to try many other things, 

So I'd love you to visit my website http://www.yanivcahoua.com/ and tell me a few things:

1. Is the work professional enough?  what needs to be improved to take it to a professional level
  2. Is it well presented ? How is the website working for you ?
  3. Where do you think I belong? in what industry would you put me in ? What clients could be interested in my work ?
  4. Any other inputs ?

Wow I think it's the first time I write so much....
Thank you guys for reading me !
Yaniv

Hi there! I'm not even close to professional work myself, but I thought I'd try to help anyhow. Grin

1. Maybe! It always helps to do studies from life of subjects that you feel you have trouble with! Or any subjects at all, really. The more you observe, draw, and paint, the better you'll become!

2. I think so. I like your website very much-- I think it's quite organized and well-presented.

3. Your work looks similar to children's book illustrations or phone game art, in my humble opinion. I could be wrong-- I'm just a layman doing guesswork. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
(01-10-2016, 09:01 AM)Bookend Wrote: Hi there!  I'm not even close to professional work myself, but I thought I'd try to help anyhow. Grin

1.  Maybe!  It always helps to do studies from life of subjects that you feel you have trouble with!  Or any subjects at all, really.  The more you observe, draw, and paint, the better you'll become!

2.  I think so.  I like your website very much-- I think it's quite organized and well-presented.

3.  Your work looks similar to children's book illustrations or phone game art, in my humble opinion.  I could be wrong-- I'm just a layman doing guesswork. Grin

Thank a lot for taking the time, I guess you got the feeling for children book from the illustration section and the phone game art from the game art section. I hesitate to remove those, or improve it a lot. I feel like I have a little of everything instead of having a clear direction.
What about the concept art section, ? Don't it feel like....fantasy concept art and illustration ?