Wolf's Sketches
hey dude, nice sketchbook ! Painting directly is nice ( though when working from mind it's better to sketch a bit or poportions will suck a lot ^^ ) but when you paint directly, you should try to use bigger brush strokes at the beginning, and put directly more contrast ! and concerning the cloth pattern, you shouldn't duplicate it ! patters show well the wrinckles, or form turn, it's better to paint them roughly but accurately rather than having them detailed but flat ! Keep it up maaaaaan !

@kikindaface yeah - you are correct - i am not happy with the cloth pattern too but somehow I got only aware of it after i already posted it.

Here is my newest piece. I am kind a proud of it. I got the reference from the model herself 2 years ago and i simply wasn't ready to paint it.
Put around 20 hours of time in it. added the moon, AT-ATs and the light sabre of course. changed the weapon to the Han Solo model and so on.
Had a blast painting those boots and the suit.
[Image: jedi_jolene_by_wolkenfels-d64ga2l.jpg]

faces faces faces
first some free from imagination faces - with the failed try to put in some emotions,
then a fire elf i just doodled for me
and finally a study after a reference. It is a school friend of mine that asked me to get her portrait painted - my first painting on demand. :) After i really stretched the soft brushes in the other pictures i just used a textured chalk brush and a brush for the hair.

Emotions
[Image: emotions_by_wolkenfels-d64wqv8.jpg]

Fire Elf
[Image: fire_elf_by_wolkenfels-d6507tn.jpg]

Kristina
[Image: kristina_by_wolkenfels-d6524x9.jpg]

Wow, that last portrait is fantastic! I'm sure she will love it. Your emotions are coming along nicely too. Can't wait to be caught up with the rest of the class so that I can participate at the same time as you >.< Good job Wolk :)

Awesome, this last one man!

Thanks Jaik and Sula!!!

2 portraits for the portrait party http://portrait-challenge.tumblr.com
both around 1,5 hours.
Hard to find some serious time for painting at the moment.

Martha Jones from Dr. Who
[Image: martha_jones_by_wolkenfels-d65ubp4.jpg]

and Jack Sparrow
[Image: pirates_of_the_caribbean_johnny_depp_by_...67b7bu.jpg]

Your sketchbook just gets better and better mate, showing improvement in leaps and bounds, especally with your film studys and so on. Thank you by the way for your work providing us all with resources and such.

Wow Wolken getting better and better!

Big big improvements man! the renderings nice though you could use harder edges in some focal areas like for example the wings of the nose on your martha jones study.

@Vandall - thanks man - nice to know it is useful
@Jonathan - all you guys are keeping my motivated!
@Lumens thanks for the compliment and even more for the constructive critique - will try to think of it with the next portrait!!! (wasnt happy with the whole nose soon after i posted the picture)

Another update - this time 3 new pictures.

1) A rough portrait of Suuz - painted during her last portrait class.

2) the homework for the portrait class - a self portrait with different light settings.

3) Another entry for the portrait party at tumblr - this weeks theme was Avenger and i chose S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Maria Hill.
[Image: suuz_by_wolkenfels-d68amm9.jpg]

[Image: selfportrait_with_different_light_settin...68d56v.jpg]

[Image: shield_agent_mara_hill_study_by_wolkenfels-d68jjab.jpg]

another two updates for the portrait-challenge.tumblr.com and one illustration based on the "9 princes of Amber" books from Zelazny.
In the second portrait i somehow accomplished to destroy a much better looking version. Should have stopped sooner. colors are picked. (not for the raven of course)

Inglorious Basterds
[Image: bridget_von_hammersmark_by_wolkenfels-d6aa9z3.jpg]

Once Upon a time
[Image: once_upon_a_time___emma_swan_by_wolkenfels-d6c9344.jpg]

Bloody Raven
[Image: bloody_raven_by_wolkenfels-d6c9vdq.jpg]

Ohhhh man ~~~~

I am just blown away with how much ass you're kicking Wolkenfels!
That portrait of Shosanna is wonderful and I'm sure you would've learned heaps from those SP lighting studies, I mean, wow o:

Keep up the good work!!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Erzherzog Egbert von Finstersee
Picture of my friend Christoph as his character the Archduke of Clanthon.
Reference photo from Sylvia Koch who makes very nice portraits herself. http://portrait-sk.de/

[Image: erzherzog_egbert_von_finstersee_by_wolke...6dlnqt.jpg]

A friend of mine in his casual sailor outfit.

[Image: sailor_by_wolkenfels-d6efug1.jpg]

Very very nice studies!

A small crit from me; I noticed that sometimes the features on your faces are a little bit our of place. Try and do some studies on the structure of the head. Mix it in, because the color in your studies is already quite nice!

Keep up the good work mate!

The studies look amazing! Great to see you pushing to do work from imagination, too. Man, that is so hard!

Sketchbook

great stuff there. I really like some of your strokes. very nice :)

@Sublimus - thanks man - i try that all the time. will come with the time.
@Tygerson - Merci - and yes - going from too much study to pic from imagination is really hard.
@florentK - thanks man!!

some studies and a book cover concept - colors are mostly picked

[Image: medieval_man_by_wolkenfels-d6exl8b.jpg]

[Image: medieval_horse_wagon__by_wolkenfels-d6grb68.jpg]

[Image: swimsuit_picture_study_by_wolkenfels-d6ij1th.jpg]

[Image: waldorf_muppet_by_wolkenfels-d6jhgpc.jpg]

Concept for a book cover for a "Steampunk Far East" story anthology. first idea and first changes.

[Image: asian_steampunk_by_wolkenfels-d6jhxu3.jpg]

[Image: asian_steampunk2_2000_by_wolkenfels-d6jibwr.jpg]

Awesome last batch man :)