Wolf's Sketches
I'm glad to hear that you feel more free again! This community can be amazing to help to push and improve, but it can also be very intimidating, and has a tendency to lead in random directions if not careful. It is important to treat everything as just outisde opinions and guidance - but in the end, it always has to be you who decides what to do, how or what to study (or not study), and most importantly to stay true to yourself. You can and should indeed paint what you want, and I'll be curious to see what it will be! :) Hope you'll find some time soon.

Love that you got creative on that portrait. I guess I will have to get some boring ones out first before I start experimenting like that, haha :) Hope the water level won't rise any higher though!!

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
@Lyraina - thanks so much - you talk from my heart

And here is the outcome of my fearless pursuit. ;)

this was a tricky call.
Every year i am going to a fantasy convention and next year it is organized by the pegasus clan, the clan of the dark hordes, a roman clan and a samurai clan. Trying to bring this 4 cultures or symbols together was a real task.
I worked some time with ideas and this is the final result. So i have the pegasus (obvious) the roman chariot and the samurai connected with the dark hordes skeleton. The castle in the background is the place where the convention will take place.
This picture may be the cover for the conventions flyer - we will see.

the second one is just the location again from a reference photo. (did this first so i have something to present if I couldn't get that pegasus to fly) replaced the "normal" ground texture with hexagons as that are the base for the strategy game we play each year on that fantasy convention to simulate the historic developments.

[Image: pegasus_pulls_a_roman_chariot_with_undea...8563aj.jpg]

[Image: ludwigstein_by_wolkenfels-d85679o.jpg]

when you think you are ready...

got an awesome overpaint from Muzski - so here is a new version and the progress shots
[Image: pegasus_pulls_a_roman_chariot_with_undea...8563aj.jpg]

[Image: progress_pegasus_picture_by_wolkenfels-d858ouv.jpg]

I. the very rough sketch
II. first block in - added a skeleton picture as place holder
III. decided to show the whole horse head (thanks Coco!), change the wings, start on the samurai armor and block the background in
IV. Refine the background. And refine the pegasus - finally attacking the wings.
V. add the tiny stuff like the coat of armor on the chariot. blur the background a bit to push it backward. tilt the chariot more to the side to follow the dynamic of the pegasus.
VI. give the wings a second layer to let them be bigger. reduce the background saturation to pop the pegasus and chariot more to front. (Thinking of being ready)
VII. Got some great overpaint from Muszki. added some blue mist for perspective depth. give the pegasus more color. get the samurai armor out of the black and add a lot of tiny stuff.

Shit. You got so much better since I last saw your stuff. Keep it up Wolken. Keep it up! ;3

Awww -thanks ramalooke!!!

Steampunk your life...
Take a machine and make a steampunk version of it. First try with a breast pump. (a friend who just got twins mentioned the machine)
Lazy sunday afternoon paint.

[Image: steampunk_breast_pump_by_wolkenfels-d85uf2k.jpg]

Simple cat photostudy - because i had to make a b/w picture. 30-40 minutes.
[Image: cat_by_wolkenfels-d85yybp.jpg]

My try on Yohann Schepacz' Gumroad tutorial "Light and Color on Form".
(until Photoshop crashed and i was to demotivated to start the pyramid again.)
All errors are solely my failure. It is a great tutorial but i sometimes loose concentration and should have rewind some dozen times more.
But he explains some very interesting concepts and I will definitely try it again.
Have a look at his Gumroad shop: http://gumroad.com/oxanstudio

[Image: cube_by_wolkenfels-d86r2xm.jpg]

2 eye studies for the speedpaintingstudies.deviantart.com group.
no tracing, no color picking and max 2 hours are the rules
first 1 hour, the second 2 hours

[Image: speedstudy_november_eye_1_by_wolkenfels-d86l2mz.jpg]

[Image: speedstudy_november_eye_2_by_wolkenfels-d87j7bn.jpg]

Keep up the good work man, not much I can say because you seem to be focused real real well in what you want to do. All I can suggest is perspective studies (I desperately need to do this myself) and figuring out some brushwork, which I think you're already doing from those eyes.

@Paul thanks - and i feel the same - the first eye was better.
@Vandall perspective is on my neverending list of things to work on - cheers man!

Time for holiday greetings!

It was an interesting year - i learned a lot. Some things i wanted to learn, some things i needed to learn and a few i could live without.

Nevertheless - I am totally curious what the next year will bring and hope to have even more great experiences with all you beautiful people out there.

Stay safe and healthy and don't forget to enjoy life!

[Image: holiday_greetings_by_wolkenfels-d8ab0h9.jpg]