Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook
Planning is such a under estimated skill it the difference between improvising and having a battle plan. Improvising is high risk high reward but also time consuming because it more experimental. Planning is time consuming initially but there is less risk generally involve in the process it like visualizing basically.It like the difference between brainstorming with a list(planning) or just taking shape and trying to come up with something(improvising).

n a sense thumbnailing is like brainstorming further then just idea it the visual part of the brainstorm.

I agree that thumbnailing is the skill that is the most useful to develop in general understanding how to use small scale test is such a time saver.

Thumbnailling is not always about solving one specific question but it always a good place for low risk and high reward iterative process . Obviously it not high render but if it generally work small thing can be scale up

The biggest time sink with 3d is starting manipulating vertex to many vertex that why being able to get alot done in low poly is very useful.

You don't really know the time sink of 3d in your particular branch of work until you get a bit of mileage in the 3D tool you use
also the time sink as alot to do with coming up with better way get a good result without investing to much time.

But a good rule of thumb is make it stupid simple 3d is as much as thumbnailing tool as a thumbnailing in 2D you can easily arrange primitive form but it probably faster to draw them then it is to resize place and place them in 3d there exception .

But it faster to manipulate a set of object in a scene then it is to redraw the same thing over and over.
That why camera are so helpful for composition shot because you can just move around a set of primitive form without re drawing. Because you can move thing just slightly or just move the camera .When it come to planning i think you have to think in term of complexity in a scene the more object in a scene the longer it is to do correction in a thumbnail. Organic object should be reduce to primitive in thumbnail specially when looking for the composition.

Drawing is a 2D skill it as alot to do with thinking but experience is also a factor the more you can leverage both 2D AND 3D the more you can solve problem. But it understanding the pro and con of each that really dictate the result and the time spent and how limited you are.

It better to learn to draw because it both 2D and 3d will 3D modelling doesn't really teach you design which limit you creatively 3d doesn't help you develop a visual language just doing 3D is a bit like trying to speak math to the creative side of the brain you need the in between to get sometime pleasing.

Also relying to much on 3d as the tendency to make thing look more symmetrical less organic and hard edge. Sculpting is nice but i don't find that it very useful apart from being use to test how a organic shape would cast a shadow and casting shadow is not always that hard it really depend on how much different surface the shadow fall on the more object it fall on the more i would say it would be useful to utilized 3D

My rule for sculpting is make it stupid simple again leave the small detail to the drawing skill .I also think inflate(option)in sculpting is a really nice tool to test proportion it a bit like liquify but in 3d also proportional editing is a nice tool to deform object(not very intuitive i have to say) as well as the lattice cage modifier.(This specific paragraph refer to blender)

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by Zorrentos - 01-02-2021, 06:49 PM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by Artloader - 01-03-2021, 05:25 AM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by Artloader - 02-10-2021, 06:36 AM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by Jephyr - 02-05-2022, 02:03 AM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 02-19-2022, 04:59 AM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 06-15-2022, 09:12 PM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 01-16-2023, 03:55 PM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 02-03-2023, 10:56 AM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by Leo Ki - 02-03-2023, 12:41 PM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by Leo Ki - 03-01-2023, 12:28 PM
RE: Cosmic Inhabitant's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 11-01-2023, 03:36 PM