JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master!
Great looking leg studies! Yea, I can see how Jeff Watts could sound a bit egotistical at times but theres plenty of art teachers out there that are even more arrogant and have almost no skills to back it up. So to me hes being honest saying thats hes good and that he knows what hes talking about. To be a teacher saying that you dont have great skills just to appear modest sends mixed signals to anyone trying to learn from you. He doesnt say hes the best ever just that hes worked a long time and this is the skill level hes attained.

A lot of artists get into this self deprecating way of thinking as well which doesnt help them improve in the long run. It ruins their passion for art and creates mental road blocks. Its best to have an objective understanding of where you're at. Not being overly self defeating or overly confident. I dont mean to sound like I think Jeff Watts is the God of art just that hes much more experienced than me so dont just take my word for it. So if you're going to study color in watercolors then I suggest you use some other medium like charcoal pencil to study values. I think your values need a lot more work to be honest. Sorry for the text walls :D

Messages In This Thread
RE: JyonnyNovice - from Novice to Master! - by Adam Lina - 11-25-2014, 05:27 AM