McKelvey's Sketchbook
^ I recognize myself in that , at least how things used to be a while back. I had to undergo drastic personal changes to fight it off, but in the end it was worth it.

I didn't lack the motivation or the drive, the problem was looking at all the amazing artists around and thinking "arghh i'll never do it, i'll never reach that level, everyone is so good", etc. Self-doubt was probably the biggest problem and it eventually rose to a point where i couldn't draw anymore. Those "headaches" you were mentioning became such a drag that i ended up hating what i was doing and hating drawing itself.
My solution at that time was to take a big step back and isolate myself entirely from the community i had grown up in. No more amazing artists, no more references, no more videos, no more tutorials, nothing but myself and my will to succeed. After a while spent that way, i managed to come back and the "game" had changed for me. These people i thought untouchable became artists that i respected because they had worked harder or for more years than i have. However, they were still people and i was no less. The dreams and aspirations i had were not silly ideals anymore but rather a question of time; and many other ideas as that.

Inspiration can help drive you up or down just the same. All i would say is - when you look at inspirational people with great success stories or great art or anything like that - just remember that they are themselves and you are your own person. It took me years to realize that and to realize i simply could not "compete" with anyone because we are not the same. Their life is theirs and mine is mine. It was indeed very difficult for me to a. understand that my evolution pace was slower due to certain circumstances and b. actually living with that.

As for the images of this future you want to have, i have three words - Make it yours.
If there is one thing i've learned so far in this life it's that you Can achieve these things. Sure, it takes a while and sure there's tons of work to put in as i'm sure you are aware of and i don't plan on turning this rant into a disciplinary speech. But they can be achieved and you can get to that place. And when you do, it will make it worth it. I'm sure any of my working peers would agree, catching a glimpse of your image in a magazine or a billboard or playing a game you've worked on or seeing your name in a movie credit, they make this path sweeter and they make you stronger.

All you need is a thicker skin, a warrior spirit and love for the game.

Messages In This Thread
McKelvey's Sketchbook - by McKelvey - 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by anzhou - 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by McKelvey - 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by McKelvey - 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by anzhou - 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by McKelvey - 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by Craig Paton - 03-26-2013, 01:23 AM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by McKelvey - 04-02-2013, 01:54 AM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by Sickbrush - 04-02-2013, 03:46 AM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by SpectreX - 04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
RE: McKelvey's Sketchbook - by McKelvey - 04-02-2013, 04:26 AM