Colour and atmospheric perspective issues
Hey guys,

This is a commission for a music artist I know, so I really want it looking relatively professional by the time I'm finished (hard though that may be for me...)
This is the basic sketch of what I want going on, an artificial planet in the background (think deathstar :D ) and a crystal city, and just whacked in a waterfall to show that its a canyon that it is built on.
I have converted to grayscale and I can see that I havent pushed the second canyon outcrop back enough- it all kind of merges into one, but I'm not sure what I can do about it, other than make it lighter which looks odd.
As its an album cover, I decided that rule of thirds wasnt appropriate so I've gone for a central focus point, and there will be a little dude on the bottom right for scale.
Please let me know what I'm doing wrong here (be as brutal as you want), because even at this stage I know that it isnt looking right at all, looking very amateur indeed, though I have only spent a fairly short amount of time rendering.
I'm considering zooming out of the picture a bit more to reveal more of the canyon to explain the setting a bit more, I think that should help a lot.
Also, I have realised the planet is too dark in value, and i need to make the second outcrop lighter.
Anyway, I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this at this stage as soon as possible so I can crack on with it!
Thanks very much :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Colour and atmospheric perspective issues - by Wardy - 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM