Smartest way to get into the gaming industry?
I'd really like to get into the game industry. Anything art related is fine with me, so instead of aiming high, I'd like to start out as a texture artist or something. I've yet to go to college, so I'm trying to decide on the best way to go about getting the training needed to be good enough to get a job.

I've seen tons of posts talking about how costly it is to attend art school, (I'm in the United States). So my plan so far was to hope for a scholarship. If I got a good enough scholarship, or something I might consider attending a college, but if I have to take on lots of debt... I don't think it would be worth it. The Noah Bradley article on why one shouldn't go to art school, and other alternatives is a good start, but all the alternate resources, such as the ateliers he lists are all on the west coast, and I live on the east coast. The online courses are possible, but I feel online courses are far less superior than actual, live instruction.

What I'm trying to say is, if any of you have any good alternatives for building foundational art skills around the east coast, or can recommend a good art school I could try to apply to and get a scholarship, I'd really appreciate it.

The reason why I'm posting this is because today I visited a college claiming to be one of the best for game design. All the evidence I've seen says otherwise... some of their "rising star students" have terrible portfolios. I could even say one of theirs was worse than the one I'm preparing for art school right now. It just seems that any school that can slap a game design or "interactive media design" degree in their curriculum is trying to scam students who'd love to be game designers, or artists, but don't realize that the degree means nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Smartest way to get into the gaming industry? - by opkluu - 10-20-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: Smartest way to get into the gaming industry? - by opkluu - 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
RE: Smartest way to get into the gaming industry? - by opkluu - 10-21-2013, 11:31 AM
RE: Smartest way to get into the gaming industry? - by alex_bo - 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM