Can I get some critique/paintover?
(04-17-2014, 01:01 PM)meat Wrote: Welcome! And nice drawing! I like your drawing style. Looks like you did some research on how squids really look here. I like the realistic look to them. The image is kind of comical despite the violent action going on (slaughtering of squid). Contradicting that action is the calming, light green background color. I'm not sure if squid blood is green or blue, but maybe consider darkening the green to get rid of that calm, spring-breeze feel (especially because those white stuff look like clouds). Or change the color to something else.

The color of the squids are very close to his skin, so they're blending in a lot. I'm having trouble finding a different hue that stands out from his skin and shirt, but at the same time won't get too close to the green background. Maybe colder yellow, or blue... or change the bg.

Did you also try having the background frame extend fully out on both sides? The spaces on either side are also unequal, is there a reason?

Hey man, to be honest the color of the bg was a bit spontaneous and because of the red and green complementary thing, but consider the mood that it bring to the image is really interesting. The blood of the squids actually is kinda a purplish hue and the color of the squids was similar to that one I use, I mean, in the reference and on little research I did, so I kinda, maybe, didn't feel confortable changing it... But I would consider changing it and try not to follow the reference to much. The bg size and the spaces from the side haven't a specific reason, like the colour, was kinda of spontaneous too.
But thanks for the ideas, and I will remember about colour and their moods often.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can I get some critique/paintover? - by meat - 04-17-2014, 01:01 PM
RE: Can I get some critique/paintover? - by lookformeagain - 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM
RE: Can I get some critique/paintover? - by meat - 04-17-2014, 10:07 PM