Portrait critique
I totally see the Rembrandt influence now you mention it - the way you used that contrast on the eyes was niggling in the back of my head. The misty feel he has is there too.

Brushes aren't everything, and I wouldn't get hung up on them, but they're fun to play with for sure (I love to make my own) and they're definitely an effective way to get from the crisp, digital look if you are more into a painterly feel. I totally recommend making your own painting brushes to suit how you work. Generally I find that using a minimal number of brushes is best as well - too many different types going on can cause a bit of a distracting inconsistency in strokes.

It helps to slow down and consider strokes you want to make, especially when working big planes - but don't over-obsess on it. Make sure you really get the anatomy and structure down first.

Because of how staged and harsh the lighting is in your ref (not that it is bad - he has great contrast and colour giving him that intimidating feel, and creating a catchy poster) I think you were right to try to deviate from it and improve the light and colour for you own purpose. It is a worthwhile thing to try (and nothing new - old masters would copy and improve/experiment with other older masters) as a learning experience as long as you consider what and why you deviating.

Messages In This Thread
Portrait critique - by crackedskull - 06-04-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: Portrait critique - by clockodile - 06-05-2014, 06:44 PM
RE: Portrait critique - by crackedskull - 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM
RE: Portrait critique - by clockodile - 06-06-2014, 08:25 AM