Switching from drawing what you see to constructive drawing.
Hi,

First post here, so please bear with me!

I've learned to draw from observation to a very mediocre level, having been taught to draw what's in front of me by measuring and breaking it down into shapes etc, and it's always bothered me that I can't draw from my imagination.

I'm trying to address that, work on my perspective and anatomy, draw more constructively, but I'm having trouble switching to this method.

When I'm drawing say a head from reference, or from life, should I be trying to break it down using spheres etc to build it up, more like a loomis head?

At the moment I would just starting drawing, check things to see how they scale/line up against other things, and keep going, tweaking until it's done.

I can't get my head around how I would build an accurate drawing constructively.

Same for perspective, I've tried placing the vanishing point when drawing on the train, and generally ended up with a less accurate drawing due to mis-placing it, would I draw 'through' shapes when drawing constructively, ie, draw a box, rather than just the lines I can see of it?

Sorry for the big post, I'm keen to start learning how to construct my own stuff, I'm just struggling with this concept.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Switching from drawing what you see to constructive drawing. - by lurch - 08-27-2015, 02:39 AM