Digital art noob looking for critiques!
(04-08-2016, 12:02 AM)Baoto Wrote: I second what Primeillus said about the colors of the lights and shadows and I did a quick overpaint for further emphasis. Hope you don't mind ;)

The lights and darks were actually just brighter and darker version of the base skin color, which flatened the character.
I gave the main light source a blueish tint and added reds to the shadows. This can be pushed quite a bit further, but you get the idea. When painting skintones, I find it helps having making a palette beforehand from a basecolor and the color of the light sources, and keeping that close at hand.

The background was taking a bit too much attention away from the focal point, so I toned those down a little bit too. I know you are proud if the shape of the cracks, but they are forming an almost straight line from one side to the other, and I feel that looks a little unnatural and takes away from the composition.

Overall, I think you've done a great job! It'd bee nice if you kept posting in the forums. :D

Hey,

first off this isnt bad for just painting digitally for a few weeks :)

secondly, here are my remarks:
*Crystals are too prominent, I'd push them more backward, like they're some huge crystals in the background.
*I'd add a bit more sky, to add more to the feeling of 'zen' or meditation. It`s quite busy and crammed now.
*Try and work on the values before colors. Take my img and yours in photoshop and make them greyscale, you'll see what i mean.
* i didnt like the droopy ears, so i turned them around :p

hope this helps, keep on painting!

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Digital art noob looking for critiques! - by DoubleThink - 04-20-2016, 11:36 AM