DoubleThinks Sketchbook
Brick 
Hey guys,

I'm new here.
I'm 26 years old and from Belgium and got a job doing production art about a year ago.
I've been playing catch-up with the other artists though. I've improved a lot in one year to be honest, but I'm still hell bent on getting better.

Below is some work so you guys know what I like to work on and at what level I'm at. This is some of my better work from the past 6 months or so. I have to render out a lot of stuff at work, so I'm not too bothered with that in my personal work, I just make sure everything reads.
This is all personal work.

Attached Files Image(s)

I've been working on an idea that's been in my head for nearly 2 years.
I kind of like the development. I think I prefer the more graphic version on the right.

I will probably finish it in vectors, to make it super tight.

Also some studies and random sketches.

Attached Files Image(s)

So another Belgian on CD ^^
Welcome!

Great SB start here!
Are you also working in Belgium or foreign country?
hey Spectrex, thanks!

I do work in Belgium, in Bornem.
I'll come visit your sb another day, a little pressed for time today.

Just 2 quick tiger studies (can't believe I've never even drawn tigers)
They're not as easy as some people make them seem, hard to find the underlying masses.

Attached Files Image(s)

2 concept sketches today about 1,5h total.

The girl still bothers me a bit. Can't really put my finger on it.
I like the dude :-) i'll probably make a more cleaned up version of him.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm thinking of entering the summer pitch bloodsports.

I reckon I'll just post some sketches of ideas here first before I commit to something.

First up:
Dragon Island, not sure if I want to make it into a sim city mod or an animated movie.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fun on a saturday with this funny little frog.

Attached Files Image(s)

SLightly deranged bunny

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey there, nice start. :)

I like those tigers and skull studies, and that Alice idea is pretty rad.

You said something bothers you about the girl - I think torsos can't really twist that far? This way her torso looks like it's turned completely toward the viewer, maybe even a little to the right (our right, not hers), and the lower part of her body is turned completely sideways to the left. If you're gonna work on her more, maybe give her some thicker hands. The best would be to find some great reference, preferably with as less clothes as possible, so you could see the way body parts connect to each other (if you didn't already, check this link out http://www.gracefulnudes.com/main ). :)

I like the Viking guy. :)
Some more work on the bunny

And took my first 30 minute class here:
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-t...e-drawing/

Loved it, actually broke a sweat :P Has been a long time since I've done figures, so please, be kind :P

@Maja I totally get what you're saying.
You're right, my anatomy and gestures aren't all that good yet. Maybe I will revisit her but with some reference. Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

More gestures.
This is very addictive :P

Attached Files Image(s)

I like that purple monster thing! thanks again for the paintover!
@ Fedodika: Thanks! and no problem ;)

Moaaar gestures
Watched a tutorial on gestures today, tried to apply what I learned, think it really helped.

Attached Files Image(s)

More gestures. Hope I'm not boring you guys with all these.
I'll switch it up and use red in stead of black tomorrow :P

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man,

I see your doing your gestures ^^ I would suggest you to look up "Michael Hampton- Figure Drawing - Design and Invention". It really deals with simplified anatomy in very effective shapes, and also the first few chapters are about gesture, I think you might find them usefull :)

keep on grinding :>
Yarrnick, I looked up the book, it looks interesting. I'll have to see where I can get it.
Thanks!

Some more gestures and a painted version of a logo I did for a friend. Used some phototextures and manipulation though. They needed it at 16000px width however. My computer did not like that.

Attached Files Image(s)

Illustration I've worked on a bit today.
Still a WIP, but what do you guys think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Yo, thanks for the comment! Nice to see you're getting into gesture drawing, it;s a freakin blast. The Michael Hampton book you were recommended is good, i would also super highly 5-star screaming-at-the-top-of-my-lungs recommend you pick up both volumes of Walt Stanchfield's "Drawn to Life" books. the drawings and thought s and philosophies are all GOLDEN, it' s my favorite thing to read before starting warm ups.

In my opinion gesture drawing as all about drawing an appealing, clear pose of somebody doing something. The goal should be that everyone who's standing 40 feet away from the gesture drawing should be able to see it and say "aha! the gentleman in that sketch is bending over to pick up the flowers." I used to be a total pixelovely and lovecastle die-hard, but lately I have ditched them for silent movies (Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and the like) on netflix, as well as drawing from real life. The reason why is because these things show people actually doing things that people do in real life, and if the actors int he silent movies exaggerate the actions then it's all the better for me, I love exaggeration in my work! But the poses on those gesture drawings have no context and no obvious purpose. It's really hard to make a drawing showing what someone is doing if they're not really doing anything!

Not that the figures from those websites don't make for warm-ups. And of course a person posing is a gesture, but it' doesn't make for as good a storytelling exercise as I think drawing from life or films is.

woah, I started talking more there than I was expecting XD here's a couple of my favorite gesture artists and a helpful handout : http://mattjonezanimation.blogspot.com/
http://radhowto.blogspot.com/
http://cartoonsnap.blogspot.com/2008/09/...b-tip.html

So, enough musing, about your work specifically! I think it's looking okay and you're working hard. From the small bit of your work I'm seeing it doesn't seem like you understand light and form that well. To the Loomis books with you! and start drawing and painting from life as well. And when you're drawing studies, I think a great way to study shadows is to draw the shadow side of an object and fill it in with tone so it's separate from the light side. That way you know what's in shadow and what;s lit, and you know what direction the light is coming from, which is all completely essential stuff to know if you want to make a a good painting.

As for your most recent wip, there are a lot of ways that it could be improved, but I think the biggest easiest fix right now would be to make the background darker, the figure is very light so its easier to read her silhouette if she's light on dark.
http://i.imgur.com/VZSkXfA.jpg
couldn't resist doing a quick paintover, but there are a billion and 3 ways other than mine that could work as well or better.

Good luck!! And keep workin hard bro!!!

@ Sam: Thanks for the comment. In abit of a rush so I'll reply later.

Random doodle became a sort of between a rock and a hard place, Scylla and Charabdis thingy. I do like the mood

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-08-2013, 02:47 PM)Samszym Wrote: Yo, thanks for the comment! Nice to see you're getting into gesture drawing, it;s a freakin blast. The Michael Hampton book you were recommended is good, i would also super highly 5-star screaming-at-the-top-of-my-lungs recommend you pick up both volumes of Walt Stanchfield's "Drawn to Life" books. the drawings and thought s and philosophies are all GOLDEN, it' s my favorite thing to read before starting warm ups.

In my opinion gesture drawing as all about drawing an appealing, clear pose of somebody doing something. The goal should be that everyone who's standing 40 feet away from the gesture drawing should be able to see it and say "aha! the gentleman in that sketch is bending over to pick up the flowers." I used to be a total pixelovely and lovecastle die-hard, but lately I have ditched them for silent movies (Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and the like) on netflix, as well as drawing from real life. The reason why is because these things show people actually doing things that people do in real life, and if the actors int he silent movies exaggerate the actions then it's all the better for me, I love exaggeration in my work! But the poses on those gesture drawings have no context and no obvious purpose. It's really hard to make a drawing showing what someone is doing if they're not really doing anything!

Not that the figures from those websites don't make for warm-ups. And of course a person posing is a gesture, but it' doesn't make for as good a storytelling exercise as I think drawing from life or films is.

woah, I started talking more there than I was expecting XD here's a couple of my favorite gesture artists and a helpful handout : http://mattjonezanimation.blogspot.com/
http://radhowto.blogspot.com/
http://cartoonsnap.blogspot.com/2008/09/...b-tip.html

So, enough musing, about your work specifically! I think it's looking okay and you're working hard. From the small bit of your work I'm seeing it doesn't seem like you understand light and form that well. To the Loomis books with you! and start drawing and painting from life as well. And when you're drawing studies, I think a great way to study shadows is to draw the shadow side of an object and fill it in with tone so it's separate from the light side. That way you know what's in shadow and what;s lit, and you know what direction the light is coming from, which is all completely essential stuff to know if you want to make a a good painting.

As for your most recent wip, there are a lot of ways that it could be improved, but I think the biggest easiest fix right now would be to make the background darker, the figure is very light so its easier to read her silhouette if she's light on dark.
http://i.imgur.com/VZSkXfA.jpg
couldn't resist doing a quick paintover, but there are a billion and 3 ways other than mine that could work as well or better.

Good luck!! And keep workin hard bro!!!

So Samszym

First off, thanks for taking your time to comment in depth on my stuff. It really sets this forum apart from a lot of other places on the internet.

You're right about the poses not being "real" but it pixelovely has that lovely function with the timer, which fits in with my crazy schedule :P
I'll probably get bored of it soon enough

I've actually looked at the Loomis books. I'm not really sure in how far copying his drawings are more beneficial than say doing photostudies. That thing about the shadows actually makes a lot of sense, and I saw something similar in a proko movie. I'll have to remember that :P

Thanks for the paint-over! There's indeed a lot of ways how she could be improved. I'm not very good at drawing the human body yet..

Thanks for the comment and I will keep working hard.

Here's some more ideas for the Summerpitch. I thought it might be fun to design a fantasy themed world. Not quite sure where I'll take it though.

Attached Files Image(s)