What skills and knowledge are most important in concept art? What to learn first?
Hi Flynnit! You structured the requirenents real well here!
I'm not working in the field, here's some ideas based just on research.

Fundamentals

I don't think ability to handle traditional mediums is a must for concept art at all (Aquarell, Gouache, Oil, Acrylic, Pastel, Coloured pencils like you wrote), although it can be very helpful for artistic growth. Pen and pencil are, because you can be asked to sketch something real quickly , say, on a meeting. 
Also, I think mediums are pers are not fundamentals.

Specific for the fied
For a lot of openings if you make a research, basic 3d knowledge is either required or a plus (mostly for environments and creatures). Here's a great vid on how game companies use 3d for concept art nowadays  https://vimeo.com/105746058   and  Jama Jurabaev for 3d for movie concept art. Feng Zhu teaches basic Sketchup and Zbrush in his school.  It's mostly used because of speed ofblocking out and iterating. Let's give it last place for now.

I would also add ability to nail the brief and do what's useful for a particular project, not just nice pictures.

"Fundamentals (are they?) in stylisitc direction"
I would give design principles 1st place if we're talking about concept art and put caricature way down. Stylisation is often required, but it's rarely about pure caricature.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What skills and knowledge are most important in concept art? What to learn first? - by neopatogen - 10-06-2017, 12:15 AM