GoGo! Accountability
Tygerson: real person, no idea who he is though, I think that he might be a German comedian... possibly. I was just scrolling though some portrait photography looking for some somebody with interesting hair and a beard. his crazy wispy locks definitely won out

Art: haha, far from it! i have a rocking a 70's housewife style perm looking thing at the moment. cheers dude. 

Tripped at the last hurdle 

Made it to the final week of the course but keep failing to finish it. already a week late and a long way from the finish line. 

So the final lesson is all about style and aesthetics, and, as somebody who doesn't particularly like much of their own work from an artistic view point (Quick self review: paintings pretty good but it's hella bland) this lesson has been quite a struggle. Not saying what I paint is aesthetically terrible, just not my cup of tea... which is a pretty weird situation to be in.

probably not that uncommon, Sinix has an interesting video, Realism vs Appealism and he mentions something about not wanting to venture too much in to classical art learning for fear of it dragging his art further away from a style he likes. 

tricky part is leaving the path of absolutes: is this value the same as the reference, is the distance between point a and point b correct...into the much more subjective world of do I think this looks good or not, and sadly my design sense is a malnourished, cowardly child. 

I have a lot to strengthen in this arena, so I'm not too bummed about being stuck here for a while longer, it's gonna be quite a grind though to undo the years of design neglect. 

I decided to work on a few different portrait at once so I can experiment... i'll probably do a lot more before I'm happy to more on. so here are the Wips (not that for along, I took a little time off to paint a portrait of my nephew as a gift)

soooo

Portrait 001

looking to make this with big chunky brushstrokes, want the paint to look thick.

I retried the colour from scratch on this one, to better match the reference... just to see

Portrait 002

Looking to hit that old oil paint style where the skin looks like porcelain 

Sketch

Underpainting

Portrait 003

For this one I'm really gonna push the colour, thinking of starting out with a magenta/cyan underpainting and take it from there. 

Other work

Here is the painting of my Nephew, 

[Image: joe-howard-final-small.jpg?1520602817]

And a rework of an earlier portrait 

[Image: joe-howard-colour-study.jpg?1519894385]

cheers!

SB

Messages In This Thread
GoGo! Accountability - by Joe - 01-23-2018, 10:17 PM
RE: GoGo! Accountability - by Joe - 01-29-2018, 03:18 AM
RE: GoGo! Accountability - by Joe - 02-05-2018, 02:09 AM
RE: GoGo! Accountability - by Artloader - 02-08-2018, 09:21 AM