Soooo, crit please?
Hello lake7less,
I found the mood and atmosphere of your image very striking, however I could not figure out the what some of the elements on your image are supposed to be. Since you did not provide an explanation for the image I can only assess the image purely as a composition of elements.

The first thing I would point out is that you have arranged your values and edges to point the viewer to an area of the image that has no visual interest. I created a small drawing to illustrate my point. The second issue I would bring to your attention is the presence of the linear element in the foreground. This 'line' creates a visual tangent with the border of the image moving our focus out of frame, and it also bisects the image strangely. I would suggest removing that element entirely from the image, to help create balance.

Included with the illustration is a small thumbnail drawing of a possible approach to the image where the mysterious form in the background is accentuated to become the focal point. It is only one of many solutions that are possible, and I would urge you to try out a few more as well.

Lastly I would advise you to keep in mind that, in general, the areas of highest contrast/ sharpest edges, are usually reserved for the focal point. Generating thumbnail sketches using 3 to 5 values helps to find an optimal solution with minimal effort, before painting begins. Thumbnails also simplify problems so they are easier to tackle. Hope this helps and good luck.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.

Messages In This Thread
Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by JavierP - 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-10-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-11-2013, 05:47 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM