Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
Psychotime - Thanks! It's starting to get pretty fun too lol.

pnate - Haha, thanks man!

kerm - Thank you! I actually got my sketchbook from a local bookstore. It's actually a simple A5 booklet with a plain black cover stapled through the middle . I'm not sure if you have something like this where you are, but one alternative that I'm considering switching to is to buy a stack of A4 blue paper and then binding them myself. It's just much cheaper than the brown paper sketchbook that the course recommends. The only downside is that if you use markers, it might bleed through and create a stain on the opposite page.

As for the pen, I use Staedtler triplus fineliner (which is felt tip) and I also use a Pilot-G1 Grip (which is a gel pen). The good thing about a felt tip is that it won't sort of "catch" and suddenly lose ink in the middle of a line, which sometimes happens to (non-quality) gel pens. I think you should just go for a pen that gives you a good feeling when you draw, it doen't necessarily have to be a felt tip. Any pen that makes good permanent lines will do.

For myself, I chose those two pens because they are the most affordable for me. You can really burn through the pens very quickly if you practice a lot, and it can get quite pricey if you buy pens that are too expensive. Choose one that doesn't run out of ink too fast or comes with refills if possible (unfortunately I think most felt-tips don't have refills, which is why I still use the Pilot G1). If money isn't a issue - then just go for whatever feels the best.

MrFrenik - Thanks! Great advice, I definitely have to work on understanding the planar surfaces of the face. "Use less value range to turn your forms, and focus mainly on using middle/darker values as most saturated colors lie within the middle of the value scale and down"" - That one's going into the notebook!

Okay! More stuff! Kind of slowing down a little. Juggling a few things now, I probably need to pace myself a little better.

Head practice fails. Tried to draw some heads from imagination - proportions still look... ugh. For the first image I used Linda Bervist's skin tones tutorial, although to be honest I had no idea what I was doing. If felt like I was mixing the colours randomly without any understanding or structure. Second one I tried to paint by "lighting"the major planes. Ended up looking like a mannequin lol.

[Image: Digi+-+0164+%2831Oct13%29.jpg]

[Image: Digi+-+0165+%283Nov13%29.jpg]

More dynamic sketching. Starting to really enjoy drawing this way. Practicing building objects with simple forms and sketching trees.

[Image: Dynamic+-+0024.jpg]

[Image: Dynamic+-+0025.jpg]

And one silly sketchbook page. Not really doing my best here... but it was lying around so I thought I'll just post it up. Bad works are still works.

[Image: Sketchbook+-+0106.jpg]

And lastly, something I've been working on - a wip for CGHub's New Worlds challenge - Treetop Highway. I'm showing the full progress over at the crits section and will be working on it along with feedback.

[Image: Treetop+Highway+-+Sketches+03.jpg]

Whoo, long post. That's all for now! Have a great day everyone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY! - by LongJh - 11-04-2013, 04:04 AM