Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
futurespaceghost - Thanks, and great points! What you said is really a kick in my face to go back to studying the simple facial forms again. ESPECIALLY the mouth and it's surrounding forms. (I always seem to fall back to drawing it like a flat graphic instead of a real 3D form, bad lazy habit.)

Hypnagogic_Haze - Thank you! So far I've been practicing to Loomis for general head proportions, or else its from tutorials I find online (Stan Prokopenko's youtube channel is a good one!). But mostly I look at photos or from life (like, on the train). I think both Loomis and Hogarth are good, I would study them both lol. Just start with whichever you have a better feeling for.

Jaik - Thanks! Yeah I think I will soon haha. Actually what I'm really looking forward to is using what I learned to sketch vehicles and mechs, hard surface stuff. I've never really done much of those before.

MrFrenik - Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think I'll be taking a break from the head paintings for awhile, and concentrate on rendering forms again. Definitely something I've been struggling with for a long time. Time to plan a study schedule for that! Always a fun time.

Alright! So, I've been pretty busy with a bunch of stuff for the past week, so my studies really hit a huge speedbump. Hoping to pick up the pace again.

Finished my Treetop Highway! Or at least, finished to as far as I'm willing to go. The full process can be seen in the crits section here. Hopefully I learned a thing or two from this. Any advice from this that I can take note of for the future would be great as well!

[Image: Treetop+Highway+%252816Nov13%2529.jpg]

Going to start doing more life paintings now, studying forms and colour mainly. I finally found a great use for my figure mannequin! (I hardly use it for drawing because it's poses are super stiff and its proportions can't really compare to studying from a photo) I wrapped a tissue paper around it and voila! Instant drapery-figure-constume study reference. Really had a lot of fun with these haha.

[Image: Life+-+0007+%2815Nov%2713%29.jpg]

[Image: Life+-+0008+%252817Nov%252713%2529.jpg]

And lastly some more dyamic sketching. Gonna wrap up my plant sketching. Moving on to insects next!

[Image: Dynamic+-+0026.jpg]

[Image: Dynamic+-+0027.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY! - by LongJh - 11-18-2013, 04:16 AM