Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
Mariyan-Hristov - Thanks! Haha, yeah, with the internet and all there's like so many free resources available, I mean youtube itself has like a TON of drawing and painting tutorial, the hardest part is commiting yourself to learning a topic thoroughly without getting distracted. And YES, cast shadows! Definitely need to work on that, especially in my sketches (might explain why they look so flat all the time)

foxfire1345 - Haha wow, thanks man! I procrastinate a lot too lol. But I do enjoy drawing - it's almost something like an urge to me at this point. Just think about all the awesome stuff you could be creating right now at this moment!

Update!

My entry for DeviantArt's Lightning Returns contest done back in late February! . I started off with a pencil sketch and then used some photo textures to get the base detail for those cables and mechanical bits.

Looking back at it now, I probably would have tried to make better design and compositional decisions overall. Like I feel a lot of the details got lost when you looked at the character as a whole. Also, I might have made the suit a little to tight in the abdominal area. Will have to try harder next time!

[Image: lightningreturns_exosuit.jpg]

Close up!

[Image: lightningreturns_exosuit_closeup.jpg]

More freehand ID sketching practice. Still sticking to the basics: simple cubic forms, simple rounds and section drawing. I know it's really silly to post these up and sorry for the bad quality (too lazy to scan everything!) but I wanted keep an archive of my practice works in this sketchbook to sort of track my progress and remind myself not to get lazy.

[Image: ID+-+0030.jpg]

[Image: ID+-+0031.jpg]

[Image: ID+-+0032.jpg]

[Image: ID+-+0033.jpg]

Going to keep practicing drawing planar forms until I can get it right consistently. I always seem to confuse myself and mess up halfway, especially on more complex shapes.

And lastly more messy sketches. Trying to come up with interesting shapes and designs through really loose scribbling (not exactly very successful, though). Will have to try to incorporate more form rendering, cast shadows and expressive linework. Design-wise I think my proportions need a ton more work as well. (You can see my scribbly Lightning sketch at the last page)

[Image: Sketchbook+-+0117.jpg]

[Image: Sketchbook+-+0118.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY! - by LongJh - 03-23-2014, 12:42 AM