Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
Lyraina - Thank you! (the secret is a shameful pile of failed drawings I didn't post)

Hi guys. Gonna rant a little, hope it's alright.

I'm sure everyone knows about CGhub shutting down by now - it really came as a huge shock for me. It was where I started my first sketchbook and study regime 2 years ago and also where I got my first freelance job (from the jobs section) so yeah, it was really a big deal to me.

Also I would like to say you guys all have awesome sketchbooks here, especially those who updates and post consistently (or even daily!) - huge respect for you guys. I always wanted to drop by everyone's sketchbooks and leave a comment, crit, and advice or two, but since busting my shoulder a few months ago, using the computer and keyboard has been extremely uncomfortable for me, plus the fact that it usually takes me a good 15-20mins to write a decent reply, I've always given into laziness and just ended up posting my stuff and running away. But I hope you guys know that I'm often browsing through the works and getting motivated constantly by everyone. So yeah, thanks haha.

OKAY ENOUGH TALK - PICS!

Form study of a wireless house phone in 3/4 front and back view. I'll be attempting to turn this form study into something cooler - like a spaceship!

[Image: ID+-+0048.jpg]

Airplane study to understand the major parts of a plane. Surprisingly fun, will try and do more of these types of studies

[Image: ID+-+0049.jpg]

Spaceships sketches building upon the form study in the first image. When starting these sketches I struggled on how to design interesting looking spaceships, it wasn't until I did the above study of airplane parts that I started to become a little more comfortable. However it was still a challenge to come up with interesting forms and shapes. I definitely screwed up a number of times and had to restart from scratch as I was using a ballpoint pen to draw. As usual need to be more conscious of my linework as well.

[Image: ID+-+0050.jpg]

[Image: ID+-+0051.jpg]

[Image: ID+-+0052.jpg]

Studies after Doug Chiang from his book - Mechanika. (That's right, from now on I'll be shamelessly studying from artists I admire and images I like with no regard for the morals of mankind) Great book with lots of amazing designs with step-by-step instructions. Not exactly very beginner friendly though, as a lot of the techniques inside require some experience in perspective and careful draftsmanship using markers and pens (which I so sorely lack).

What I'm trying to do here is to study along with the tutorials in the book as closely as I can, and then trying to redesign something similar from imagination. The idea is to improve my draftsmanship (so far not so good, keep losing patience) and also to study his design/form language and see how I can incorporate it into my own works.

Study

[Image: ID+-+0053.jpg]

Redesign

[Image: ID+-+0054.jpg]

Study

[Image: ID+-+0055.jpg]

Redesign

[Image: ID+-+0056.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY! - by LongJh - 04-25-2014, 12:19 AM