Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
Ahaha, Mechanika? Love that book, I did those exact same studies about a year ago, they help so much with learning how things work. I really really need to get back in and study that a bit. Can't get enough of those designs. Those perspective ships are also looking great.

I wish I wasn't so rusty on my hard surface stuff so I could really try and give you a good crit like you gave me.

You have a few notes which sort of point to this, but I think you could make much better use of negative space and silhouette, which I know Chang uses his Post-It sketches for. For example, the application of the one wheeler bike thing, that silhouette is basically just a square with a bunch of small pokey bits (check the grey line you drew) if you opened it up a little with some interior holes (nothing screams robot like gaps in the body). The robot person is a bit better on this regard, some more interesting shapes. I think thats what Chang keeps in his mind during the markers as well, the little bits that wont actually be filled in.

Sorry I couldn't help more, I'll be checking in more often to see your work :D

Keep on keeping on. Great work so far.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY! - by Jaik - 04-27-2014, 01:39 PM