Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
AngeliquevdMee - Thank you!

Bjulvar - Thanks! I must admit there was gratuitous use of photo textures haha. So probably not the most intensely rendered piece (yet!). Yeah, also the street lights kind of bug me now, it's like... really random in the context of the image lol.

Adzerak - Haha thanks man! Now that you mentioned that rim lighting on the neck and shoulders, I get what you mean. The final render lost that high impact lighting and extreme angle on the arm. I think its cuz I was trying to figure out the foreshorting and anatomy of that arm-to-should-to-neck area and kept redrawing it until it lost all that energy.

Landscape studies from photographs! Wanted to practice to Shaddy Safadi's (amazing) youtube tutorials on landscape painting. The first study didn't come out too well (I wasn't able to properly control my brushwork and ended making a mess of the textures and forms on the mountain), but I think the subsequent studies came out nicely - especially once I got used to controlling the textured brushes. Of course, there's still much more to improve upon (for example I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to paint trees and foliage that doesn't look like a mess of custom brushes)

[Image: Digi+-+169+%252806May14%2529.jpg]

[Image: Digi+-+170+%252807May14%2529.jpg]

[Image: Digi+-+171+%252808May14%2529.jpg]

Steps! Plus an attempt to distill what I learnt from Shaddy's tutorial into words. It's a really effective tutorial series (he goes into way more detail that what I'm putting down here), I highly recommend anyone who wants to learn how to paint landscapes to check it out on his youtube channel. It's structured in such a way that is really useful for studies. You learn to separate the process in different stages with each focusing on an important topic, from composition to rendering.

1 - Analyze the reference, study the image right down to its details and figure out how to simplify the shapes.
2 - Blocking out and separating the major shapes, focusing on composition and "flow".
3 - Painting the inner shapes, separating areas of light and shadow and/or different materials.
4 - Crazy colour underpainting. using complementary or exaggerated local colours as a base.
5 - Painting and rendering, focusing on choosing more accurate colours and communicating the forms.
6 - Continue refining, focus on unifying the image as a whole.

[Image: Digi+-+171+steps.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY! - by LongJh - 05-09-2014, 04:58 PM